Taking Care of Chemically Relaxed Hair
So many of us have joined the natural hair train that it is easy to forget to provide tips for the sisters who wear their chemically relaxed hair. Today’s tips will help you take better care of your beautiful relaxed tresses.
1. Wrap your hair at night – Molding your hair to the shape of your head helps it to fall perfectly the next morning, with little to no need for a quick press with the flat iron. Doing this minimizes the need for the use of any type of heat to style your hair. Too much heat is your hair’s enemy, no matter your hair type (natural or relaxed).
2. Use a heat protectant – On the days when you must apply heat to your hair, whether by blow dyer, hair dryer, or flat/curling iron, apply a heat protectant before to prevent heat damage and increase the shine.
3. Trim your ends regularly – Split ends cannot be repaired. They stifle the growth of your hair and should be trimmed every 2-3 months.
4. Book hair appointments with a professional – While it is economical to relax your hair at home, it is always better and safer to have a trained hairdresser apply these chemicals to your hair. They will know how much product to apply and this avoids over-processing your hair.
5. Drink lots of water and take your vitamins daily – This last tip is a given. What you put into your body manifests in the way your hair looks.
For any questions or comments contact me at:[email protected] or address letters to On Fleek This Week C/o Searchlight Newspaper, Lower Kingstown Park, PO Box 152,Kingstown.