Ten simple ways to start owning your career today
The landscape in the workplace has changed tremendously. It is no longer dependent upon showing up every day and doing a great job. As an employee, you must take complete ownership of your career immediately. You have to calculate each career move, take responsibility for your successes and failures, and see yourself as an expert who is available to offer your services to a company for a price. Loyalty is first to yourself, and then to the company. For some people this might be difficult, especially if you are in a steady, comfortable job, but your inability to adapt to the new model of career management could end up costing you later. To begin this process of owning your career, here are 10 simple steps you can take in the next 30 days.
1. Commit at least one hour per month to actively plan your career.
2. Review your resumÃ© and update every 6-12 months.
3. Develop a realistic five-year plan and find an accountability partner.
4. Identify key advocates, mentors, colleagues and mentees.
5. Sit with mentors and advocates and share goals from your career plan.
6. Have a candid conversation with your supervisor about possible opportunities for growth.
7. Schedule an informational interview with someone outside the company within the next 30 days, so you can get to know that individual and the work they do.
8. Look for opportunities where you can volunteer for new projects. This will help to make you more visible in the organization.
9. Identify a skill set you would like to strengthen and seek out opportunities to do so within the next 30 days.
10. Evaluate the people in your network. Who do you need to reach out to so you have a variety of people at different levels who can help you grow?
Bonus: Be clear about your brand, the expertise you offer, and the industries that need what you have.
Karen Hinds is “The Workplace Success Expert.â For a FREE SPECIAL REPORT on Avoiding Career Killers in the Workplace, send an email to email@example.com
Visit online at www.workplacesuccess.com