19 ways to stay positive in a downsized company
It can be difficult to stay motivated when your friends and colleagues were laid off but you were spared. The empty desk and office chatter of nervous employees wondering who will be next can be depressing, but you must stay on task. Even the most positive people can find it difficult to stay upbeat when they are in a sea of depression and surrounded by what seems like utter hopelessness. No matter how bad it gets, here are 19 tips to help you stay productive and positive in a challenging work environment:
1. Write down your vision. Where do you want to be in 6 months, 1 year and 5 years, and dream big?
2. Surround yourself with at least two likeminded people
3. Refuse to discuss people. Remember the quote âsmall minds discuss people, while great minds discuss ideasâ
4. Set daily goals and hold yourself accountable
5. Reward yourself when you accomplish small tasks
6. Focus on the good qualities in people
7. Remind yourself that everyone is doing the best they know how to do in every given situation
8. Offer to help others who may be going through a tough time. Break out of your pity party. Someone probably has it worse that you do.
9. Know that you cannot save everyone.
10. Schedule time to spend with yourself. Do something special for you on a regular basis
11. Start a gratitude journal. Write down the little things that bring your joy. You are alive and have food, friends a place to live. You can see, walk etc.
12. Speak words of kindness to at least three people on a daily basis
13. Smile – it releases endorphins that make you younger and live longer
14. Accept the things you cannot change in your life
15. Stop looking at others and wishing for their lives. You donât know the price they paid, and everything has a price
16. Lifeâs joy is in relationships not possessions. Rekindle an old relationship that can be inspiring
17. Spend time in silence mediating or praying whatever works for you.
18. Define what happiness is to you. Write it down and remind yourself daily
19. Forgive those who hurt you, cheat you out of a promotion, sabotage your work or have done other injustices to you.
Karen Hinds President/CEO â
Workplace Success Group,
Toll Free: 1-877-902-2775;
A CT Winner of the Make Mine a Million Dollar Business award!
Creator of The Workplace Success Program (TM)