Posted on

WICB issues statement on passing of Philip Hughes

WICB issues statement on passing of Philip Hughes

Share

The West Indies Cricket Board says it was extremely sad to hear of the passing of young Australian batsman Philip Hughes, following an injury he suffered during a first-class match last week Tuesday at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Australia.{{more}}

WICB president Whycliffe “Dave” Cameron said: “It was with a sense of shock and sorrow that we learned of the death of Philip Hughes and I know that these feelings are shared by all who knew him and played with or against him.

“There is little one can say at such a time, but we would like to express our very sincere sympathy to his family, friends and all those involved with the game in Australia.

“This is truly a tragic loss of a fantastic young player who promised to deliver so much for Australia and who has already done so much in proving his pedigree as a top flight batsman on the international stage.

“To honour the memory of our fallen colleague and show solidarity with our friends in Australia, we have asked that a minute’s silence be observed prior to the start of all matches in the third round of the WICB Professional Cricket League Regional 4-Day Tournament – and that all players and match officials wear a black armband during the match.”

LAST NEWS