Posted on

Not so! NSC Manager refutes rumours

Not so! NSC Manager refutes rumours

Share

Manager of the National Sports Council, Osbourne Browne is refuting clams that St Vincent and the Grenadines has lost the three One Day Internationals between the West Indies and Australia, set for March 16, 18 and 20.{{more}}

Browne spoke to SEARCHLIGHT last Saturday afternoon at the Arnos Vale Playing Field.

“There have been some malicious rumours making the rounds that St Vincent and the Grenadines … would have lost the rights to host the three One Day matches, March 16th, 18th and 20th, that these matches have been taken away and awarded to Jamaica,” Browne said.

“The National Sports Council wishes to clear the air and dispel those unpatriotic rumours,” the NSC Manager added.

The rumours, Browne said, emanated from a local radio sports programme, aired last week Saturday afternoon.

The NSC Manager noted that it is an international Cricket policy to have a standby venue, in the event of unforeseen circumstances which may occur.

On that matter of responsibility, Browne said: “Persons need to be responsible journalists; people need to be patriotic and a Barbadian or Jamaican would not have made such a statement accredited to a particular person who said he/she is a journalist “.

In further rubbishing the rumours, Browne said the West Indies Cricket Board is making the final preparations for the arrival of both teams.

Browne revealed that former Barbados and West Indies middle order batsman Roland Holder, who is the Chief Cricket Operations Officer and another official, will be coming here soon to finalise meal plans and other arrangements with the Buccament Bay Resort, which will host both teams and the match officials.

Browne also added that tickets for the matches here will go on sale from March 5.

“Mr Holder coming here is a virtual rubber stamp for the hosting of the games and we are fully prepared,” Browne reiterated.

“As a matter of fact, to show the satisfaction of the West Indies Cricket Board, they have already contacted us to host a four-day official test between West Indies A and India A in June of this year. If that is not a stamp of approval, then what is?”, Browne noted.

He, however, stated that work is taking place every day at the venue, and the NSC is getting some assistance from the Ministry of Agriculture in relation to the outfield.

“It is a national effort and it is led by the Chief Agricultural Officer and a high-powered team of his top five officials and they come down to Arnos Vale on a daily basis, including the chief himself, to make sure everything goes according to plan,” Browne assured.

Browne pointed out that restorative work is continuing at the Arnos Vale facility and they are going the extra mile to ensure that St Vincent and the Grenadines puts in a good showing as host.

“We have almost a whole month to go and wherever there are a few spots of bad grass, those will be fully grassed and we will be ready come match day,” Browne said with confidence.

LAST NEWS