Posted on

Digicel National Club Netball Tournament opens this Sunday

Share

The Digicel National Club Netball Tournament again takes national spotlight when it opens this Sunday, March 21, at the Arnos Vale Sports Complex.{{more}}

The St. Vincent and the Grenadines Netball Association(SVGNA) has made provision for forty teams, spread in the four divisions, as accommodation was made for late entrants. Last Wednesday was slated as the deadline for final registration.

And, it will be the first national tournament under the SVGNA with a male at the helm.

Godfrey Harry will be making his maiden public speech at Sunday’s opening since taking up the post on February 15.

Harry revealed to SEARCHLIGHT last Monday that the tournament was pushed back by two weeks; first to make way for the Queen’s Baton Relay, then the One Day International Cricket match, which was played last Sunday between the West Indies and Zimbabwe.

He also said that there will be a slight change in the naming of the divisions. Previously, there were Divisions One, 2A, 2B and Division 3.

“Instead of divisions 2A, 2B and 3, 2A will become Division 2, 2B will become Division 3 and Divsion3, will be Division 4”, Harry stated.

Harry added that in light of the late start of the tournament, on the cards is a spread of the matches.

“We have set aside Saturdays for matches at Arnos Vale. Here we will get in eight matches,” he projected.

He also pointed out that apart from Kingstown Netball Centre(KNC), which traditionally is the main venue, matches will be played at the Calliaqua Hard Court to facilitate teams from that area, as well as Mesopotamia and its environs.

Additionally, Harry stated that part of maximizing time in the tournament is the added burden of preparations for sub-regional, regional and international competitions.

“We are preparing for the Caribbean Netball Association Under-16 Competition in Barbados from April 8-18. We are to host the OECS Under-23 Tournament from June 11-18, and the senior team heads to St. Lucia for the AFNA Qualifiers from July 22-28,” the President said.

Harry intimated that he and his Executive would wish to start Sunday’s proceedings promptly, with the procession of teams/clubs from the AVESCO Club House from 3: 15pm, followed by the opening ceremony fifteen minutes later.

He said that Sunday’s opening will take the usual format, with addresses from sponsors, government and Netball officials.

Harry noted that the competition will get off in earnest immediately following the formalities.

“We want to have three matches and get out from there about 6: 30 pm, to give persons time to go to the Victoria Park to see the CFU club championships qualifiers and support local club Avenues United”, Harry ended.(RT)

LAST NEWS