Posted on

Soca Warriors pocket World Cup cash

Share

Fifty-five players and 15 officials of Trinidad and Tobago’s senior national football team, the Soca Warriors, are in for a pay day for their qualification to this year’s world cup in Germany.

FIFA, football world’s governing body, will pay out six million Swiss Francs (US$4,702,128) to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation. {{more}}

But this will be subjected to 21 per cent in German taxes plus a 5 per cent insurance levy.

The players and officials, all who have contributed to the team’s berth to the finals receive US $1,461,421.28, representing 42 per cent of the net pay out .The TTFF will get the remaining 58 per cent.

Additional bonuses are also in the offing for them, as the Trinidad and Tobago government will pump in TT $55 million into the team’s preparations.

More donations are forth-coming as several companies are aiding the national cause.

Already the TTFF has been assured US$11.5 million in sponsorship from internationally acclaimed sports wear manufacturers, Adidas.

The Warriors have a warm up fixture on February 28 in England and their final send off match against Peru in Port of Spain on May10.They leave for Germany following a special dinner slated for May 13.

A three-week camp precedes their group matches. These complement other training camps set for Austria, England, as well as at home.

The past week saw special advisor of the TTFF, Austin Jack Warner and coach Leo Beenhakker seeking out players who are eligible to play for the warriors, by extending every genealogical strand available to them.

Determined to make a good showing in their moment of history, the TTFF is leaving no stones unturned in putting together the best squad for the big occasion. With most of the top players based in Europe and the US, the home-based players have been given an equal opportunity to make the final cut. They too have a continual programme of observation and training.

Seen as the minnows in the 32 team finals, the Warriors are drawn in Group B, and will meet Sweden in their opening match on June 10. Their next meeting is five days later against England. The Warriors face Paraguay on June 20.

Trinidad and Tobago earned their historic final berth with a 2-1 aggregate win in a play off against Bahrain.

Their qualification will see for the first time four teams from the CONCACAF region reaching the finals of footballís most prestigious event.

Apart from Trinidad and Tobago, continental giants Mexico, the Unites States of America and Costa Rica have qualified for the Germany showpiece from 9th June to 9th July.

More monies though can be had if the Warriors qualify from their group to the next round in the first instance, with two teams from each of the eight groups advancing.

LAST NEWS