Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
C&W defends players sponsorship deal
Sports
March 11, 2005

C&W defends players sponsorship deal

As the ongoing Cable &Wireless versus Digicel telecommunications dogfight over sponsorship deals continues to divide West Indies cricket Cable & Wireless has attempted to explain its position on the issue.

In a statement Friday the company claims that “despite any claims to the contrary, its sponsorship offer to the WICB, tabled in September 2003, during the company’s 18th year of sponsorship of West Indies cricket, has never been withdrawn”.{{more}}

And Rachelle Franklin, Senior Vice President for Corporate Marketing for Cable & Wireless Caribbean region, is reiterating that Cable & Wireless, which gave up its longstanding sponsorship of cricket in 2003 will always “be there” for West Indies cricket.

Franklin said “it was recognized that the current situation as it relates to sponsorship is difficult for the parties involved and that it has created a dilemma which has put the players in an awkward position, since they have legitimate player contracts and are dedicated to the game. “

The company statement further contends that the company is “grateful for the continued support of the players and want to reiterate [its] steadfast commitment to them and to the future of West Indies cricket.” It said it is important for the Caribbean people to know that Cable & Wireless have “worked within the legal boundaries of [its] contracts and internationally accepted practice, which predates the WICB’s current team sponsorship arrangement.”

Franklin said Cable & Wireless had made a number of compromises last year to ensure that the tour of Australia went ahead and had agreed then “to come together with all parties involved to find a reasonable solution post tour”.

The Cable & Wireless executive claims that to date her company has “not been invited to sit at the table in an attempt to resolve the issues”. They therefore “continued to move forward in activation of our lawful Player sponsorships as planned, and have begun preliminary activities around our World Cup 2007 sponsorship.”

She said that as matters have continued to deteriorate, Cable & Wireless was “prepared to make other reasonable concessions in the best interest of West Indies cricket so that the South African and Pakistan tours to the Caribbean are neither compromised nor jeopardized.” This, although “these compromises will significantly reduce the value of what [they] have.”

But, with World Cup 2007 looming, for which Cable & Wireless has already signed onto as telecommunications provider, Franklin said her company had “pushed the limits of how far [it] can go without seriously undermining [its] ability to continue to support the game in preparation for the biggest sporting event to come to the Caribbean.”

In that context the company was offering several concessions. They include limiting the number of players shown visually in print, radio or television advertisements so as not to visually infer [they] are a team sponsor; refrain from using any reference to the “West Indies Team” or the word “team” in any of our advertising; and eliminate all advertising and marketing activities outside of the Caribbean surrounding any of the Overseas Tours.

These concessions, Franklin stated “demonstrate the commitment to the future of West Indies Cricket.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok