Questions to ask to implement your strategic plan
LAST WEEK WE explored some of the common reasons why nine out of 10 organizations fail to implement their strategic plan. Today, we will help you to cover your bases by asking some important questions you must answer before implementation.
In Erica Olsen’s article “Strategic Implementation”, she suggested that by answering these questions honestly before implementation, they will keep you in check:
● How committed are you to implementing the plan to move your company forward?
● How do you plan to communicate the plan throughout the company?
● Are there sufficient people who have a buy-in to drive the plan forward?
● How are you going to motivate your people?
● Have you identified internal processes that are key to driving the plan forward?
● Are you going to commit money, resources, and time to support the plan?
● What are the roadblocks to implementing and supporting the plan?
● How will you take available resources and achieve maximum results with them?
Oslen stressed that you don’t need to have the perfect answer to each question but that the process will help you to identify any obstacles to implementation or threat to the success of your plan that you may have inadvertently overlooked.
Once that process is completed then it is on to the following checklist:
● Make sure you have support, that refers to the five components to support implementation: people, resources, structure, system and culture.
All five components are key to activating the plan.
● Make sure you have the right people on board. Having the people with the required skills necessary to bring your plan to live is also key.
● Make sure you have sufficient resources.
By now you should have a clear indicate of the cost associated with implementation and how it will be financed.
● Make sure you set up the structure to support implementation.
Appoint a project leader and schedule regular meetings for accountability purpose.
● Make sure you have systems in place to
track progress. What gets measured gets done.
● Finally, create an environment that refines employees’ culture to be more in line with the organization’s mission.
Visit us at www.searchlight. vc or https://www.facebook.com/Searchlight1. We’ll help you get noticed.