Fountain SDA church honours six retired educators and civil servants
The Seventh Day Adventist Church at Fountain gave back to the community of Fountain and Belair when it recognized and honoured six retired educators or civil servants on September 26 at its Home Coming and Honoree/Award service held at the Seventh Day Adventist Church at Fountain.
Recognized for their outstanding contribution to nation building and also for active involvement in the communities of Belair and Fountain were: Marlene “Merle” Wright – educator from 1955 – 1995 (40 years); Pamela Charles – educator from 1962 – 2003 (41 years); Sylvia Jordon – educator from 1968 – 2007 (39 years.); Innis Primus – educator from 1978 – 2018 (18 years); Theodore “Theo” Huggins – educator from 1974 – 2017 (43 years) and Bernard “BT” Marksman – educator and Civil Servant from 1972 – 2008 (35 years)
Huggins was not only an educator, but he was actively involved in the community work and serves as a coordinator of the Red Cross Affiliate, NEMO affiliate, a netball player, netball coach, National Volleyball player and Coach of the National Volleyball Team.
Bernard T Marksman
Marksman served as President of Local Red Cross
Society for many years, in Disaster Management Risk Reduction, NEMO, BELFONGO, St. Vincent Jaycees and instrumental in organizing several community projects.
Primus continues to offer evening classes for children especially for those preparing for CPEA and as an invigilator for CSEC.
Wright continues to use her culinary skills in cake baking and decorating for the community, as an invigilator and supervisor of External and Tertiary Examinations.
Charles taught adult evening classes in the community of Belair.
Jordon serves as presiding officer in General Elections, supervises CXC Examinations and offers lessons to grade 6 students preparing for CPEA.
Each honoree was presented with a plaque in recognition of their outstanding contribution to community and nation-building.
This event formed part of activities to commemorate the 70th anniversary since the church was established in the community of Fountain in 1950.