SVG on the UN Security Council 6 Month Review Highlights
1. Council Members have aligned with SVG’s national statements. We have also received very positive feedback from other UN Member States, particularly in relation to our statements on African issues and Haiti.
2. SVG has been actively engaged in all negotiations, proposed language for draft resolutions, press statements and other Security Council products and put forward language to help build bridges on political issues.
3. SVG has never missed a deadline since assuming its seat on 1 January. This speaks to the Mission’s organisation and cooperation among colleagues.
A3+1 joint statements were delivered on the following agenda items:
1. United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA)
2. The Situation in Somalia – Secretary-General’s Report on the United Nation’s Assistance Mission in Somalia – UNSOM
3. United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO)
4. United Nations Verification Mission in Colombia
5. The Great Lakes Region
6. Transition of the African Union United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID)
7. Cooperation Between the United Nations and the European Union
8. Peacekeeping Operations
9. G5 Sahel Joint Force
10. Activities of the United Nations Office in Central Africa (UNOCA)
11. The Situation in Haiti
12. Children and Armed Conflict
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines was successful in negotiating language to be included in the following resolutions:
1. Mandate Renewal – United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA):
Preambular paragraph – recognising the significance of the integrated and coherent approach among relevant actors within and outside the UN system for building and sustaining peace in Mali and the Sahel, as per the objectives of the UN Integrated Strategy for the Sahel. Operational paragraph – capacity building and engagement with diverse groups in Mali.
2. Mandate Renewal – United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS): climate change related language
3. Mandate Renewal – African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM): language on a comprehensive strategy, and an integrated and coherent approach among relevant actors in Somalia and more robust language on gender analysis in various peacebuilding and peacekeeping processes.
4. Mandate Renewal – United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP): language on the important and positive contribution of youth in the maintenance and promotion of peace and security.
1. Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTC): The A3+1 jointly negotiated the Presidential Statement to promote stronger language on assistance for African countries and local, national, sub-regional, regional, and international initiatives to prevent and combat the scourge of terrorism in Africa.
2. Conflict-Induced Hunger: SVG worked closely with the Dominican Republic to table a Presidential Statement on conflict-induced hunger.
3. Yemen: In March, a Press Statement was negotiated in response to the Secretary General’s call for a cessation of hostilities in Yemen. SVG successfully proposed language that emphasized the need for the political settlement to the conflict to be “inclusive”.