The idea that the incident is being passed off as an unfortunate affair speaks volume of the callousness and irresponsibility of those in the Ministry of Health and the deafening silence from the Education Ministry regarding this issue.
Someone needs to be held responsible for gross negligence. How is it possible that a school can be literally flooded
with poison and no action is taken to protect innocent and vulnerable students. The head teacherâs seeming attempt at covering up the incident to protect herself and others while sounding so indifferent to the plight of the students should surely be disciplined, as well as those from the two ministries that are responsible for providing and maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our children.
It seems as though the children of the poor or those who do not know their rights are once again being taken for granted. In another society, heads would roll for this shocking state of affairs. But I guess in SVG, we pay only lip service towards helping the elderly and other vulnerable groups in the community. It should not come as a surprise that contaminating a school environment with rat poison, which endangers the entire school community, is just an “unfortunate incidentâ since “correct protocolâ was followed.
What sort of naive reporter will accept such a statement that correct procedure was followed without any challenge when children end up in the hospital? I shudder to think what would have happened if procedures were not followed.