Departure tax down by 50 per cent for holders of CARICOM passports
Departure tax for CARICOM passport holders traveling within the region has been temporarily reduced by 50 per cent.
Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, speaking on NBC radio on Wednesday said the reduction came into effect on Monday, June 15.
“I had announced that in order to encourage regional travel, we will reduce the US$40 Departure Tax to 20,” Gonsalves told listeners.
“Well as of the 15th of June, it’s amended by deleting EC$100, and substituting EC$50 or US$20.”
Earlier this year, during an address given on March 14, the Prime Minister had indicated that this was part of the Government’s plan to sustain the economy because of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He had informed that the government would like to reduce the tax, which was US$40, by 50%, and that this arrangement would extend for a period not exceeding six months; but that he was waiting on the final numbers from the Ministry of Finance on the revenue that would be lost.
Also in March, the Prime Minister stated that this concession would be limited to Vincentian passport holders and CARICOM passport holders travelling within CARICOM.