NEMO marks 38th year since La SoufriПre’s last eruption
On Friday, April 28, there will be an educational field trip to La SoufriÃ¨re, under the guidance of Dr Richard Robertson,
geologist and director of the Seismic Research Centre. The educational field trip is open to the public and persons wishing to take part can register with NEMO at telephone: 1-784-456-2975.
Although La SoufriÃ¨re has been quiet for some time, it is still an active volcano and will erupt again. Citizens should know where they live in relation to the volcano and in which hazard zone they are located. The 1979 eruption demonstrated that the volcano can move from unrest to full scale eruption within 48 hours, a reminder of the importance of having a family emergency plan, so that families can evacuate at short notice.
The UWI Seismic Research Centre is the agency responsible for monitoring earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis in the English-speaking Eastern Caribbean. Scientists at the UWI-SRC are constantly monitoring La SoufriÃ¨re and any changes in activity are immediately communicated to NEMO and SMU. Tampering with volcano monitoring equipment, such as solar panels, may prevent scientists from issuing timely warnings, thereby putting the population at risk.
- Tuesday, April 25 – 9:30 a.m.- 12 p.m. – Tsunami Smart Meeting for Community VolunÂteers/Private Sector in the Tsunami Smart Project Communities (Rose Place Clare Valley, Businesses in Kingstown close to KingsÂtown Anglican School and Colonarie)
- Wednesday, April 26 – School Presentation on Volcano and Geological Hazards:
- 9:15 a.m. -10:15 a.m. – Grade five Students, Kingstown Anglican Government School
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Form four (4) Geography students, Girlsâ High School
- Tsunami Smart Community Meeting – Rose Place Hard Court – 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27 – School Presentation on Volcano and Geological Hazards.
- 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Colonarie Government School
- 1 p.m.- 2 p.m. – George Stephens Secondary School
- Friday, April 28 – Educational Field Trip La SoufriÃ¨re.