Posted on

Lives to Live programme was part of plot to steal elections – Leacock

Lives to Live programme was part of plot to steal elections – Leacock

Share

The New Democratic Party’s (NDP) representative for Central Kingstown St Clair Leacock was made to withdraw a statement he made in Parliament last Thursday when he stated that the persons who are running the ‘Lives to Live’ programme recently committed arson.

While debating the Petrocaribe (Special Purpose) Fund Bill, Leacock said that the Lives to Live programme, which was funded by Petrocaribe,{{more}} was part of a plot to steal the 2015 General Elections and the way that Petrocaribe is being run creates interference in the domestic affairs of this country.

“The people who spend the money is the people who burn down [the Public Works warehouse], not just that, but also the Treasury building…,” said Leacock, to which Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves asked Speaker of the House Jomo Thomas to order Leacock to withdraw the statement.

“Mr Speaker, the point of order which I am raising is that my honourable friend is saying that the persons who have been running this programme are the ones who are responsible for burning the Arnos Vale warehouse and also the Treasury building. Well, the persons who are running this programme are identifiable: the Minister of Works, the Minister of Housing, the Permanent Secretary and all the staff and my honourable friend knows that is entirely unacceptable and he should withdraw…it’s just wrong,” stressed Gonsalves, at which time the Speaker asked Leacock to withdraw the statement.

“The Minister of Housing did not have nothing to do with the fire and I withdraw,” said Leacock, after which Gonsalves replied, “Withdraw the clear statement that the persons who are responsible for burning the building are those that are running the programme.”

“I withdraw, I withdraw…,” said Leacock.

Earlier this year, a fire destroyed $1.4 million in material at the Public Works warehouse at Arnos Vale.(LC)

LATEST NEWS