Posted on

Houses being built for persons who remain in shelters

Share

Government officials hope to have the four persons who remain in the temporary shelters, where they were placed after the Christmas floods of 2013, relocated to their own homes before the first anniversary of the natural disaster.{{more}}

Up to press time, four persons who previously resided in the Buccament Bay area, and were displaced by the December 24 trough system, were still housed at the Rillan Hill Community Centre.

When the makeshift shelter opened its doors for affected residents, 30 persons from 12 families were placed there.

Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said on Tuesday at a ceremony to mark the construction of three bridges in Chateaubelair, that houses being constructed at Hope in Vermont will be presented to the remaining homeless persons.

He said that it is the hope of all involved that the homes will be ready before the sombre anniversary comes around.

Between December 24 and 25 last year, two trough systems merged over the island, dumping more than 10 inches of rain in a 12-hour period, and causing landslides and floods in a number of communities.

The rain and floods resulted in the loss of nine lives, five from one family and two from another, and hundred of millions of dollars in damage.

More than 300 persons were left without roofs over their heads following the deluge, resulting in the set-up of temporary shelters around the island, including South Rivers, Georgetown, Rose Bank, Spring Village, and Rillan Hill.

Three other persons are currently being housed at the Redemption Sharpes Community Centre, as a result of heavy rains in September this year.(JJ)

LAST NEWS