Posted on

Licence required for holding Carnival activity – CDC


The Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) is advising persons desirous of holding a Carnival activity that they must first obtain a licence from the Board.{{more}}

A release from the CDC says in accordance with section 4: subsection (2) of the Carnival Development Corporation’s Act No. 52/2002, the Corporation is mandated to “organize, promote, conduct and control the operation of the Carnival in the state…”

Section 5: subsection (1) states that the “Corporation shall be responsible for organizing and managing the Carnival of the state.”

The Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) is therefore authorized to grant a licence to any person wishing to hold a Carnival activity, as stated in section 5, subsection (4) as follows:

“A person who is desirous of obtaining a license from the Board to hold a Carnival festival or activity shall make an application to the Board after the date of the official launching of the Carnival season by order of the Carnival Development Corporation.”

The CDC is accordingly reminding persons desirous of holding a Carnival activity to first obtain an approved licence from the Board. Merely obtaining the use of a venue from another entity does not in anyway constitute approval by the Board of the Carnival Development Corporation.

The general public is asked to comply with the relevant section of the CDC Act in relation to this matter.