Posted on

Concessions on duty free barrels extended for additional week

Concessions on duty free barrels extended for additional week

Share

An extension of duty free concessions on barrels has been granted until January 9.{{more}}

Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said on Wednesday, during a press briefing, that he had given the instructions to the Comptroller of Customs to extend the duty free concessions.

This was as a result of the many complaints that Gonsalves said he received from people saying that they have encountered problems, some including that goods and containers had been mistakenly delivered elsewhere, or subject to delays, which were not due to the individuals themselves.

“I think it’s only fair that we give them a few more days and this is not the first time that; we have done that, when we have had the evidence that there have been difficulties we have done that,” the prime minister said.

“So, those who are listening and worried, you don’t have to be; the Customs would be dealing with them from today,” he said.

The concessionary period, which began on November 12, was supposed to have ended on December 31.

During this period, households in St Vincent and the Grenadines are allowed to import a maximum of three pieces at the reduced rates. All additional pieces will be charged at the regular fee.

A customs official told SEARCHLIGHT that during the duty-free period, small parcels and barrels, containing clothing and foodstuff, would cost the recipient $15, while larger parcels and barrels would cost $25.

Extra pieces will be charged 42.6 per cent of the assessed customs value of the barrel, which is usually determined by its content. The fee includes import duty, customs service charge and Value Added Tax (VAT).

In 2011, 30,700 barrels came to St Vincent and the Grenadines, with 13,199 entering during the Christmas season.

The previous year, 11,165 of the 27,685 barrels entered during the Christmas concession period.(DD)

LAST NEWS