Posted on

NDP seeking assistance into St Lucian government CCJ matter

NDP seeking assistance into  St Lucian government CCJ matter

Share

Opposition Leader Arnhim Eustace said that his party will be seeking representation in a matter that has been brought before the court in St Lucia.{{more}}

The issue relates to a submission by the St Lucian government to get an interpretation from the court about whether the St Lucian constitution would allow for the Privy Council to be replaced by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as that country’s appeal court.

Speaking on the ‘New Times’ radio programme yesterday, Eustace explained that the issue was brought to the attention of the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP) in August, although the matter had been ongoing since June 5.

Action was immediately taken Eustace said, because, based on the documentation received, reference had been made to St Vincent and the Grenadines.

“St Vincent is similarly acceding to the CCJ appellate jurisdiction,” the opposition leader said.

He further said, based on the documentation he had, it was suggested that this country’s Attorney General, Judith Jones-Morgan was also an interested party and may be entitled to be heard in the matter.

“So, you see St Vincent is in the thick of things; the government have not said anything, the people had not heard anything until last Monday,” Eustace said.

He said that a meeting was held last Thursday, out of which a letter was sent to St Lucia indicating that the NDP is interested in these proceedings and would wish to be present when the matter arises in court.

“We met and took the necessary action required and that has been sent off,” Eustace said.

He further contended that the NDP was seeking assistance from interested persons to look into the matter which is before the court.

“The issue is one thing, but the way in which it was done is another.

“If you want to change it, come to the people, but you don’t go behind the backs of people … this matter was before the court since June,” Eustace said.

The St Lucian cabinet gave the go ahead for the matter to be taken to court back in April this year.(DD)

LAST NEWS