Invest SVG exposes local talent to international music moguls
As part of the organisationâs effort to prepare and enhance local talents to take advantage of international opportunities, the program was first launched by Invest SVG in 2011, and brings together internationally renowned music moguls and Vincentian writers and producers.
2011 saw two events, the International Song Writers Train the Trainers Camp (March 7 – 11 2011) and the Local Song Writers Camp (May 17 to 19 2011). The first workshop saw the participation of six locals – Abuza, Adrian Bailey, Mark Cyrus, Candy Gloster, Jarret Francis, and Icon – where 25 songs were produced and distributed to record labels. Some of the successes and spillovers from the first camp include:
- Candy Gloster and Mark Cyrus being signed to Tanjola Publishing, a Canadian-based full-service entertainment company;
- One of the songs co-written by Candy was sent to Kanye West, Jay Z and Beyonce for consideration and has since been earmarked for Beyonceâs next album. She has also been writing new songs for Beyonce to preview, with music provided by Island Def Jam.
- Mark and Candy visited Toronto to further craft their writing amongst globally successful songwriters and producers. Both are further expected to travel to Los Angeles, California, soon.
- Two songs were requested by Island Def Jam Music Group for recording artistes J-Lo and Pitbull which have already been delivered.
- Singer /Songwriter DRU requested a song done with local writer Icon for his upcoming album.
- An internship opportunity has been offered to Jarret Francis with an international producer.
Tanjola music executives later returned on their own accord to conduct a workshop with persons they were most impressed with from the International Songwritersâ Camp. This gives testament to the untapped pool of talent that St. Vincent and the Grenadines has to offer.
Following the success of the first workshop, the Local Song Writers Camp was held. Here, a total of ten locals participated (Joel Jack, Kamal Browne, Shavsha Speedwell, Jason Browne, Kahalia Beache, Keith Currency, Andy Cruikshank, Son J, Tristan, and Melanie). It saw the production of more than 10 songs that were also prepared for distribution to record labels in North America.
Ivan Berry of Tanjola Entertainment Inc. has expressed his excitement about working along with Invest SVG once more for the 2012 workshop.
Participants of Camp 2011 have voiced their gratitude about the opportunity to interact and learn from big music executives and have stated that this is not a chance that they get often. They all look forward to this yearâs event as more local acts will get the opportunity to be a part of the Invest SVG Song Writerâs Workshop as they attempt to attract international attention to our local song writers, establish links to the international music market for the promotion of local songs and future collaborations, and raise the standards of local songwriters and music in the local industry.
2012 is expected to be an even greater success.