Posted on

Carnegie Public Library marks 100th anniversary

Share

February 9th, 2009 marked the Centenary Day of the Carnegie Public Library Building in Kingstown.{{more}}

The building was granted to be used for the two main purposes (a) the ground floor for the Public Library Services; (b) the top floor to serve as a Concert Hall and Lecture Room.

The land on which the building is constructed is owned by the Kingstown Board. The building began in 1907; the Deed of Conveyance was registered in 1908 and the construction was completed in 1909.

The Carnegie Public Library Building was a gift from the American Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to the people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Government has authorized the St. Vincent and the Grenadines National Trust to occupy the ground floor as its Headquarters and Secretariat; while top floor was leased to Alliance Francaise in 1995 for 20 years to conduct its programme.

Recently, the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines approved the application from the Ministry of Culture for the Carnegie Public Library Building to be declared a Protected National Heritage on behalf of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines National Trust.

LAST NEWS