Posted on

Guyanese charged in McBarnett murder

Guyanese charged in McBarnett murder

Share

Ewart Edward Jordan Bacchus, a 21-year-old labourer of Guyana is expected to return to the Magistrates court in Kingstown January 23, 2006. That’s when the preliminary investigation into a murder charge against him is slated to begin. Bacchus was remanded in custody last Monday by Chief Magistrate Simone Churaman.

His indictment stemmed from an incident at Yambou last week Thursday October 20. Dougal McBarnett’s body was found along a by-pass road leading from Yambou to Argyle around 11 that morning. {{more}}

According to a release from the Police Public Relations and Complaints Department, McBarnett’s body had two bullet holes in the chest. McBarnett, a 36-year-old father of two is originally from Carib Village, Campden Park in the South Leeward district of mainland St. Vincent.

Inspector David Hazelwood, serving as Prosecutor when the matter came up for hearing, asked the Magistrate for three months for the Police to examine exhibits related to the crime.

Bacchus was represented by lawyer Bertram Stapleton. McBarnet’s death brought the number of homicides in St. Vincent and the Grenadines for 2005 to 19.

Meanwhile, Dougal’s mother Selda McBarnett told SEARCHLIGHT her son’s death was shocking.

“I heard over the news there was another murder but I did not get the name. I said to myself Lord I hope it is not anybody for me,” Selda lamented.

The grieving woman said though justice cannot bring back her son she will like to see the person who committed the act held responsible for it.

“I can’t even explain how I feel,” she stated as she reflected on her son’s brutal death.

Raphael McBarnett, Dougal’s father said, “I will like to see justice if there is any”.

Raphael said he got along well with his son and cannot recall his being a troublemaker.

LAST NEWS