Terror Attack in London
(London) Just hours after the city of London was in a triumphant mood after winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics, the city has been plunged into a state of shock.
At least six explosions in what police described as a series of terrorist attacks has left many causalities and fatalities here in London.
Unconfirmed reports released to the London media on Wednesday say many have been injured and feared dead. Eye witnesses have confirmed at least 45 fatalities in Russell Square where the first blast was reported.
Explosions started around 8 am London time affecting the cityâs main subway system causing a complete suspension of all tube and bus services in Central London.
Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was at the time attending the G8 Summit in Gleneagles immediately returned to London city where he issued a statement condemning the attacks.
An Islamist website has posted a statement – allegedly from al-Qaeda – claiming it was behind the attacks.
Blair said it was “reasonably clear” there had been a series of terrorist attacks. He said it was “particularly barbaric” that it was timed to coincide with the G8 summit.
Meanwhile, Commonwealth Secretary-General Don McKinnon has condemned todayâs multiple terrorist attacks in London: âAll of us throughout the Commonwealth family are shocked by these barbaric and cowardly attacks. Our thoughts go to all the victims and their families and friends.
âTerrorism cannot be allowed to succeed. The Commonwealth has spoken out loudly and clearly against this scourge. The killing and maiming of innocent men, women and children is unjustifiable.
âThese attacks appear to be aimed at disrupting the meeting of G8 leaders in Gleneagles. They have the effect of diverting attention from efforts to eradicate global poverty and disease and create a more just world. But our common resolve to address these global issues will not be shaken.â