Posted on

Historical notes

Share

” … on this island are several mountains, which cross it from north to south from which issue several rivers full of fish; among which are 22 capable of turning sugar mills: these mountains are in general of an easy ascent; the vallies fertile and extensive, and the clearing the ground has rendered the climate healthy. {{more}}Of 84,000 acres which the island contains, 23,605 are at present possessed by British subjects and about as much more is supposed to be held by the Charibes; and the remainder is thought to be incapable of cultivation. This is the only island of the Antilles, where the small remains of the natives, (with a mixture of negro blood) exist in the form of a nation. At the peace in 1763, the British government sold the lands of St.Vincent as it had those of Tobago and left the French (whom the fear of confiscation had not driven away) those they possessed, paying a moderate fine, and a yearly rent still more moderate. These proceedings encroaching upon the possessions of the Charaibes occasioned their resistance, which the troops sent against them could not subdue, and a peace was concluded with them in 1773, and lands assigned them… The number of inhabitants appears to be 1450 whites, and 11,853 negroes. St.Vincent is divided into four parishes-St. David, St. Patrick, St. Andrew and St. George. Its towns are Kingston, the capital and Richmond, the others are villages or hamlets, at the several bays and landing places. The islands dependent on the St.Vincent’s government are Bequia containing 3,700 acres; Union 2,156 acres; Canouan 1,777 acres; and Mustique about 1,200 acres. Of the above 11,853 negroes, about 1,400 are employed in the cultivation of these islands. There are likewise the little islets of Petit Martinique, Petit St.Vincent and Balliceaux each of which produces a little cotton…”

(The American Gazetteer – nu 1797)

LATEST NEWS