Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Rose Place families  to move into new homes by September
Front Page
February 26, 2021

Rose Place families to move into new homes by September

by Lyf Compton

Houses for 47 families from Rose Place who will be displaced by the US$185 million port modernization project are expected to be completed by September this year.

Two of the units that are part of the housing project at Lowman’s Bay which will be home to 47 families from Rose Place who will be displaced by the US$185 million port modernization project. The houses are expected to be completed by September this year.

Several contractors are involved in the project at Lowmans Bay and so far, four of the houses have been completed along with a substantial amount of the infrastructure needed to make residents comfortable.

Chairperson of the Port Modernization Project Steering Committee Laura Anthony-Browne told SEARCHLIGHT on Thursday that the Lowmans housing site is being tackled by more than one contractor.

The project will see the building of one and two-bedroom duplexes and one, two and three bedroom single houses, enough to house 47 families.

Anthony-Browne said four of the homes are completed but they have asked the contractors not to paint the outside of the houses as it is an active construction site. The tiling, painting and other inside house finishing touches have already been done.

Currently, four more units are being constructed and Anthony-Browne explained that as soon as these four units are completed, another four will begin.

“We are doing it this way because the site has limited space and you cannot have too many contractors on site at the same time. All units will be finished by September because they are not complex units,” Anthony-Browne said.

She noted that after the units are completed, they will be handed over to government who will make the decision of when persons will move in.

Laura
Anthony-Browne

The housing project is a small component of the port development project and makes up just EC$4.2 million of the US$185 million/EC$500 modernization plan.

Anthony-Browne noted also that there was a cut-off date of March 31, 2019 for persons living on the beach in Rose Place to make themselves known to the government. She said a survey was done and a team identified each person.

“So having done that, there were consultations and we presented options and asked for their agreement.

“The last consultation was in July 2020 and we showed them the designs we had in mind and we asked for their agreement and they have agreed,” Anthony-Browne told SEARCHLIGHT while adding that Cabinet has the list of families and the list has been approved, meaning that the persons who will get the homes have already been chosen.

Anthony-Browne revealed also that some of the affected persons who have small businesses will get a house unit which will allow them to continue their operation.

Another aspect of the project is finding an area for the storage of fishing boats. The beach is currently used to store the boats and Anthony-Browne said Edinboro was selected by the government, but the idea has been rejected by Edinboro residents.

“We were required to meet with the host community and we had a meeting with Edinboro residents, but it did not go well and then the government received two petitions from the residents of Edinboro objecting to the plan we had in mind, so we have gone back to the drawing board and made recommendations to Cabinet looking at an alternative,” said Anthony-Browne.

She also revealed that the port modernization project manager will arrive in the country on Saturday and after following quarantine requirements, he will be on the job around the middle of March 2021.

The other team members will come on board as seen fit as the project is in the procurement stage where two companies have been selected, from a group of eight, to present a final design.

“They are supposed to submit a final design on April 16 and we will then evaluate and select one and we will negotiate and we are expecting to sign a contract by the third quarter of 2021,” Anthony-Browne told SEARCHLIGHT.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok