Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Facebook robber sent to jail
Facebook robber jailed
Front Page
June 23, 2020

Facebook robber sent to jail

A fleet-footed target, who had been lured to the scene of an attempted robbery by someone on Facebook, has made sure that the culprit now has to spend four years and four months in prison.

Furthermore, the perpetrator, Oranson Garraway of Layou, now has a slew of other robbery charges that were laid after his capture.

Everything started, the court heard, on June 16, when Ronique Toussaint of Mesopotamia was scrolling through his Facebook page and went on to Vincy: Buy, Sell and Trade. There, he discovered a Yamaha dirt motorcycle which was being offered for EC$700 by a woman.

Toussaint wanted to purchase the item, so he screenshot it, and contacted the owner of the page. They apparently agreed to meet in Layou the following day, June 17, at around 3:30 p.m.

Toussaint went to Layou as agreed, and was accompanied by his friend, who drove him to the Leeward town. On arrival, they phoned the seller, who had told them over Facebook that her son would be completing the transaction. The meeting place was relayed, and when the two friends arrived there, the defendant was sitting on a wall at the side of the road. After they spoke to Garraway, he told them that they would have to wait for the woman for 15 minutes.

However, shortly after, Garraway took out a homemade gun made of wood and galvanize that he had stored behind the wall he was sitting on, and pointed it at them. Toussaint became very frightened and ran to the base of the Rapid Response Unit (RRU) in Layou. As he did so, he heard the defendant telling his friend to “give me everything wey you get.”

Toussaint met Corporal 403 Nigel John at the base, and John took the initiative to, using a private, unmarked vehicle, take a party of police officers to investigate. At Ruthland Vale, they came across the defendant, and stopped him. A search of his backpack revealed a gun, and further searching revealed a shell. “Nothing nah happen for me so me try rob a man,” he apparently told the Corporal.

Sentencing for Garraway on charges of possession of a firearm, possession of one 12-gauge ammunition, and unlawful assault, occurred yesterday, June 22, at the Serious Offences Court (SOC).

Senior prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche recalled that a similar charge was withdrawn against the defendant based on a technicality, and he pointed out that in just over two weeks he is back. Delplesche commented that in his mind the defendant did not show remorse.

“A 21-year-old child, this is his approach to things – ‘nothing nah do for me so me try rob a man’,” he stated, continuing, “Your honour this is serious, extremely serious, and in times like these we all live in this community and we know what is happening here.”

“…We have to do what the law allows to make our society safer so people can feel comfortable going about their daily business,” he told Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne, and recommended a jail sentence on the “upper scale.”

The magistrate, in delivering her sentence, noted that once a firearm and ammunition is involved the consequence could be death. She considered the possible need for the victim for prolonged trauma, and the anxiety that such an incident causes.

She deemed the offence very serious, and more aggravated by the fact that it took place during the daytime, that a weapon was “brandished”, that there was the presence of ammunition and a firearm was used to instill fear and intimidation.

However, the defendant had no previous convictions, and was young.

After adding and subtracting prison time based on these factors, the magistrate found that a sentence of six months would be appropriate for possession of the ammunition, four years and four months for possession of the firearm, and eight months for the unlawful assault of Toussaint.

These run concurrently.

But that was not the end of Garraway’s legal worries. On Friday, June 19, he was also charged that he did on March 10, being armed with a shotgun, rob Kenniel Neptune of Richland Park of a Samsung s10, and on May 2, being armed with a gun, did rob Mario Baptiste of Campden Park of Samsung Galaxy s6 and a wallet, and Delanto Lewis of Campden Park of a BLU studio 5.5 cellular phone.

All of these offences allegedly occurred in Layou.

Garraway was not required to enter a plea to these indictable charges.

On May 7, 2020 the public was advised to be alert to attempts to lure them into danger, following two armed robberies which happened at the Layou Playing Field on March 10, 2020 and May 2, 2020 under similar circumstances.

According to reports, on March 10, a male resident of Richland Park was robbed of one Samsung Galaxy S10, after communicating with a female who claimed that she was living at Layou.

The complainant explained that he had made plans with the female to meet at the playing field at Layou; and on his arrival there, he was robbed by two armed masked men at gunpoint.

Further, on May 2, two male residents of Campden Park were also robbed at gunpoint of their property valued over EC$1100 by an unknown assailant.

The complainants reported that prior to being robbed, they made plans with a female who identified herself as “Alicia” to meet at the Layou Playing Field where they were eventually robbed.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Front Page
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    KEMARLIE DURRANT STOOD out as the only international student honoured among the 12 recipients of the 2026 Ming Chuan University Outstanding Youth Awar...
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Front Page
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A VINCENTIAN ON the nursing team at the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, has been named Nurse of the Year as the hospital celebrates Nursing ...
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Front Page
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    ARCHBISHOP CHARLIE BLACKMAN from the Rock of Ages Evangelicals Spiritual Baptists of Barbados, along with many of the faith’s practitioners arrived in...
    Lawyer to take action on behalf  of accused  police officers
    Front Page
    Lawyer to take action on behalf of accused police officers
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE DECISION by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) to suspend without pay, officers who are accused of crimes, has attracte...
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Front Page
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT said that plans are underway to deal with the housing issues in the Grenadines, as well as the water problem that has been plaguing the...
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Front Page
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CLARE VALLEY MAN, who is alleged to have attempted to murder Nadia Slater, the Acting Director of the Agency for Public Information (API) was rema...
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS under the Unity Labour Party (ULP) administration were not given the freedom to do their jobs property, Prime Minister (PM) Dr. Godwin...
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    News
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has reminded the general public that the New Democratic Party (NDP) now in gov...
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    News
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CENTRE for Enterprise Development (CED) brought together agro-processors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, financiers and other stakeholders on Tuesda...
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    News
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A NEW CALYPSO tent will be part of this year’s Vincy Mas Great Escape, when the tents begin to present their casts for the 2026 carnival season on Tue...
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok