Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Bigger Biggs to take Government to court over lands at Rabacca
LEON “BIGGER BIGGS’ SAMUELS
Front Page
November 8, 2019

Bigger Biggs to take Government to court over lands at Rabacca

by Lyf Compton

Leon “Bigger Biggs” Samuel has stated his intention to take the government to court over the findings of a land survey that was conducted earlier this year, at Rabacca.

Samuel is claiming that he owns 15 acres of lands at Rabacca while the government says he only owns five.

On Tuesday on Star FM on the ‘ULP Speaks’ programme, Minister of Transport and Works Julian Francis said that in keeping with Section Eight of the Crown Lands Act, a copy of a registered survey (Plan C1842) depicting the boundary between crown lands and Lot 6 (on plan C364) at Rabacca has been published in the Government Gazette.

Lot 6 is owned by Samuel.

Samuel told SEARCHLIGHT on Wednesday that he is not in agreement with the government’s survey and he will be taking legal action.

The survey was done in March 2019 and was carried out so that an alternate route can be found to allow farmers to access their lands in the Bower Mountains, as Samuel is against the farmers using the existing road that cuts through his land.

“This matter now is in the hands of my lawyer. I am not going to accept what they say they find…this is the fight I was waiting for,” Samuel said.

Commenting further on the issue, Francis said if Samuel is aggrieved by the findings, he has two months from October 30 to file a complaint by applying by petition to a judge in chambers to review the survey.

“The petition must state fully the objections to the survey and your claim and reasons for the application,” explained Francis who added that there is an official letter sent from the Chief Surveyor indicating that the survey has been completed and that it has been registered and published in the Gazette.

“There is absolutely no confiscation of Mr Samuel’s land. Whatever he paid for is there in black and white, in print,” said Francis.
He said that crown lands sit on both sides of Samuel’s land, that is, between his boundary on the northern side and the Rabacca river and between his boundary on the southern side and the Langley Park river.

In February 2011, Samuel had his license to mine his lands at Rabacca revoked as the Government felt that his operations were negatively affecting the environment and that the terms of his mining contract were being violated.

In September 2012, Samuel placed a gate at the entrance of his property at Rabacca, blocking persons who use a road through his land from getting to the Bower Mountains where farm lands are located. The gate was later removed by the authorities, but on Monday February 4, 2019, Samuel placed a 40-foot container at the entrance of the property, again blocking vehicular access.

The Government then moved towards, once and for all, settling the Bower Mountain road access issue informing Samuel that they would survey his property and surrounding lands belonging to the Crown, but Samuel blocked the government surveyors from entering his property.

Francis said then, that there is land where the government can establish a driveway and a road that will circumnavigate the boundaries of Samuel’s land. After legal manoeuvrings by Samuel failed, the government began conducting surveys on February 26, 2019.

However, on Friday March 1, Samuel attempted to physically block surveyors and he was arrested after he is alleged to have positioned himself in a way that stopped the government’s senior surveyor and his assistant from carrying out the survey. Samuel was taken to the Georgetown Police Station where he was charged with two counts of obstruction and given station bail of $1500. On March 25, Samuel’s case was adjourned sine die.

Said Francis on Tuesday, “Farmers in Bower, it is now clear that the government does not have to go through any of Mr Samuel’s land to give you access to Bower.

“It is the intention of the Ministry of Works following this period that he (Samuel) has, in other words, two months from October 30, to the end of the year, following that period it is the intention of the Ministry of Works to cut you a road on government crown lands,” said Francis.

He said the road will not be surfaced, but users will be given comfortable access and there will be no trespassing on Samuel’s land.

“There will be no aggravation and I just want to say to the farmers in Bower I know it is dragging on, but I prefer to get it done legally first, before technically and I just want to give you that assurance,” stressed Francis.

The Transport and Works Minister said the findings of the survey will soon be published in the newspapers as it was published in the Gazette.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Changes in top ranks of SVG Police Force
    Front Page
    Changes in top ranks of SVG Police Force
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) has announced changes in the highest ranks of the organisation, with seasoned officers T...
    Weekend brings chaos in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Weekend brings chaos in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    POLICE OFFICERS in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) were kept busy between August 14 to August 17, as four separate shooting incidents were recorde...
    Pharmacist freed of wounding with licenced firearm charge
    Front Page
    Pharmacist freed of wounding with licenced firearm charge
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE USE OF A LICENSED FIREARM for self defence was again ventilated before the courts when this time around, pharmacist Esworth Lewis was freed of a c...
    Police present scholarships and bursaries to 78 students
    Front Page
    Police present scholarships and bursaries to 78 students
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE ROYAL STVINCENT and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF), on Thursday, August 13, 2026 handed out scholarships and bursaries to 78 students who wi...
    Fourteen receive Building and Loan scholarships and bursaries
    Front Page
    Fourteen receive Building and Loan scholarships and bursaries
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE STVINCENT BUILDING & Loan Association (SVBLA) has awarded scholarships and bursaries to 14 students as part of its continued commitment to support...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok