Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Suspended cop says he was beaten by Commissioner
(Left) Collin-John and-Ettian (Right)
Front Page
October 5, 2018

Suspended cop says he was beaten by Commissioner

An allegation has been made that the Commissioner of Police (COP) was among a group of police officers who beat a junior officer so severely that the man bled from his head and may have fractured a rib.

Acting COP Colin John however maintained that he never hit constable Ettian Charles when he was contacted by SEARCHLIGHT on Wednesday.

“I never hit Mr Charles,” he said.

Of the allegations, he said, “I’m surprised, I know I didn’t hit him…”

The COP told SEARCHLIGHT that not only did he not hit the suspended policeman, but he did not see anyone else do so, nor did he observe Charles with any injuries.

John also said that Charles never complained to him that he was beaten or struck by anyone and no one had made any such report on Charles’ behalf.

However, Charles, who was suspended from the police force after being hit with a burglary charge last year, and is one of five men recently charged with armed robbery and wounding, cited his injuries as the reason he should be given bail when he appeared in court on Wednesday.

“I am presently going through some medical problems due to corporal punishment which I received,” Charles started by saying.

He said that on the night that he was picked up by the police (Saturday, September 15, 2018), he was beaten at his home, and that two officers had to take him from his kitchen to the transport in the road. He said he was then beaten again, and stripped down to his boxers.

“My conditions are worsening and sometimes I get dizzy,” he told Senior Magistrate Rickie Burnett. He also mentioned that it seemed that one of his ribs was fractured.

This claim was reinforced by attorney Israel Bruce, who said that for the matters currently in court on that day, he was not the accused’s lawyer. However, he is the accused’s lawyer for another recent charge that Charles has for possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition, and in an ongoing burglary trial.

“I am aware through consultation with Mr Charles that he was savagely beaten. I have photographs of all the bandages all over his body from the Sunday night, and the blood still running from his head onto his shirt, even after he was given a shower upon the realization that I was coming to the station,” the lawyer said.

He asked that an order be made that Charles get “proper medical attention.”

“I mean the rest of this is going to bear out in the public sphere in a very ugly way and some people are not going to like it. Be that as it may, those people who engaged in the abuse of Mr Charles must be made to pay,” Bruce continued.

“Police have no right to treat persons like this,” the lawyer continued. He said that “the authorities” are not letting Charles get the proper medical attention and mentioned the possibility of his dying in state control.

After this interjection, Charles added, “the most beating I got was from the head himself, from the head of police,” at the back of police transport.

“All of my wounds that I got is from Mr Colin John,” the defendant claimed.

“When I complain with other officers they said that he was vex with me,” Charles continued.

He also claimed that the COP punched him in his mouth just when he was stirring from unconsciousness, and that a senior officer had been beating the bottom of his feet with a baton as well.
“When I keep crying out for help … [they] beating me, beating me still, telling me shut up, shut up,” the accused said.
Another accused Glenville Harry said that he was beaten at the same time as Charles, but he did not say who beat him. He too claimed injuries, saying that his fingers were squeezed, and that one of his ribs was hurting him.
The other accused persons mentioned family members who rely on their support, but nothing as what Harry and Charles had claimed.

Prosecution had objected to bail before, asking for two more weeks to complete the investigations which had become very wide, connected to other matters. They stated that a capital charge was to be brought before the court soon, and that they were still looking for some firearms.

After hearing the accused persons, Senior Prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche reminded that they were simply making allegations.

“Anybody can say Harry Bob beat me, Harry Bob is not on trial, persons who they are making allegations against are not on trial, so to use that to say that they want bail because somebody beat them, I respectfully submit your honour, that that is not really a ground,” Delplesche stated.

“Our intention is that justice has to be balanced. They entitled to their justice, the state entitled to their justice also, so we have to balance it your honour, and your honour is in the seat of balancing,” the Prosecution ended.

Bruce rose once more, saying that the right of bail ought not to be so trivially trampled on.

“You being the adjudicator must ensure that those constitutional rights are not trivially trampled upon so that of course the state has to be given all the necessary support to complete investigations, and the court must decide whether or not the period requested is a reasonable period in light of the foregoing,” Bruce said, while addressing the magistrate.

After this Delplesche returned, “While it is a constitutional right, it is not an absolute right, the right is subject to certain conditions.”

Bail was denied, and the five defendants, Glenville Harry, Elroy Rogers, Rocuan Robinson, Ettian Charles and Olrick ‘Chucky’ Hanson, returned to jail for a further week, until October 10.

The five are charged with the robbery of Dr Reisha Twana Browne-Caesar, consultant nephrologist at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital on September 15. They are also charged with the armed robbery of Lisa Wilson of Brighton, and the wounding of Grafton McDowall of Brighton which took place the day before.

The senior magistrate told the prosecution to “get their house in order” by October 10.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Front Page
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    This country has lost another former Member of Parliament with the death on Tuesday morning of Alpian Allen, who represented the constituency of North...
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle  gun violence in SVG
    Front Page
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle gun violence in SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    ACTING Commissioner of Police Trevor Bailey, said newly promoted Deputy Commissioner Acting Brenton Smith, has been assigned to take strategic command...
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Front Page
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Godwin Friday, has publicly reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG), to Taiwan with whom it is this ...
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Front Page
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    by Grace Francis A Vincentian mother who spent 10 years serving in the Royal Navy is celebrating the academic achievements of her daughter, Destiny Ro...
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Front Page
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    As the Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) kicks off its promotional campaign leading to the celebration of 50 years of the change over of carnival...
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Front Page
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Lawyer Grant Connell has concluded that his Majesty’s Prison (HMP) has now become like the Red Cross, as some people want to go there to get free room...
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Fixing the issues at St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG), various airports is high on the agenda of the current administration and one thing that is ...
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    News
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Opposition Senator Carlos James says the increasing frequency of gun-related incidents and homicides in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is a serio...
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    From the Courts, News
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    A cashier who is alleged to have stolen almost $70-thousand from a senior citizen over a span of several weeks in 2023 and 2024 pleaded not guilty whe...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok