Posted on

End of the line for Counsellor

End of the line for Counsellor

Share

Sehon Marshall has resigned from his position as counsellor at the Permanent Mission of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) to the United Nations (UN).

Marshall returned to SVG last week and when contacted by SEARCHLIGHT yesterday, he confirmed that he had resigned.

“I arrived in the country on Wednesday, December 6, 2017 and submitted my resignation effective that same date,” Marshall said.

The resignation of the former diplomat came less than two weeks after newspapers in New York reported that Marshall hit his wife Xandra in the face on Friday, November 24. Although the police were called to the scene, Marshall could not be arrested because of diplomatic immunity.

While publicly addressing the issue on the November 27, Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said the Government takes a strong stance against domestic violence. Furthermore, that after consultations and considering the facts of the issue, both Marshall and his wife were ordered not to report to work until further notice, but Marshall was to return to St Vincent forthwith. At that time, Gonsalves declined to say whether Marshall would be dismissed.

Marshall’s wife had taken up a job as deputy consul general at the SVG Consulate in New York, a few weeks prior to the alleged incident. Since the incident, according to consul general Howie Prince, she has not reported to work.

Her status is unclear, as according to Prince, at the time of the incident, she had not yet signed a contract with the Government and had been undergoing training for her new job.

Marshall was appointed counsellor at the Permanent Mission of St Vincent and the Grenadines to the UN in August 2014. Prior to that, he was the deputy consul general at the SVG Consulate in New York.

LAST NEWS