Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Petitioners  reject consent order to  inspect ballots
Front Page
October 26, 2017

Petitioners reject consent order to inspect ballots

by Katherine Renton

After two days of contemplation in the High Court, the draft order for consent of inspection of ballot boxes from the Central Leeward constituency has been unexpectedly rejected.

The application for the inspection of the ballot boxes from the Central Leeward constituency in the 2015 general elections had been filed in the High Court on June 29, 2017, the second time the matter has been heard since the General Elections of 2015.

Tuesday, October 24 was supposed to see the beginning of the trial with regard to the matter, but attorneys for the respondents in the case, which

include the supervisor of elections, the Attorney-General, successful Unity Labour Party (ULP) candidates Montgomery Daniel and Sir Louis Straker, among others, indicated to the Court that the parties to the case had drafted a consent order.

This agreement, according to Kendrickson Kentish, attorney for one of the respondents, would facilitate the “inspection of the unused ballot papers contained in the ballot boxes related to the election held in constituency of Central Leeward on

the 9th day of December 2015 and the ballot papers and counterfoils in ballot boxes CLF, CLF1, CLB and CLB1,” these being four of the ballot boxes in the Central Leeward constituency.

The Court procedure, which was supposed to conclude on October 24, with the inspections taking place the next day, Wednesday, October 25, were stalled when Judge Esco Henry said she wished to clarify the precise intention of the consent order.

A decision was taken to hold off conclusion of the consent order until Wednesday, when there would be input from lead counsel for the respondents Douglas Mendes, who was arriving on a Liat flight that afternoon. Justice Henry said the delay would also allow counsel the time to consolidate their positions and to finalize any changes proposed to the draft consent order.

The second day of court saw Stanley John QC, attorney for petitioner Bejamin Exeter, the New Democratic Party (NDP) candidate in Central Leeward, in his representations stating that, “The petitioner is extremely sensitive about avoiding a situation where as a result of participating in this consensual order, he will be precluded absolutely going forward from seeking the inspection or further inspection of documents.”

John continued that the attorneys for the petitioners had wished for the draft order to reflect, “a consensus that we will take it step by step and that we will agree to the inspection of the unused ballots in all of the 15 ballot boxes and of the used ballots in the four ballot boxes which are specified in the motion.”

Further, John said his team wanted to reserve the right to have all 15 ballots boxes of the constituency, and not just the four ballot boxes in the consent order, fully inspected in the future.

Lead counsel for the respondents, Mendes, in response to the petitioners’ express wish to reserve the right to inspect the remaining ballot boxes

at a later date, stated, “No one can prevent someone from making an application to the Court…but I wish to make it clear that I reserve my position to oppose it on the ground Res Judicata.”

This means that if the inspection of the four ballot boxes was sufficient to satisfy the Court, then the petitioners would not be able to file a motion to seek to inspect further, having forgone this in law.

After the Court returned from break, John, the lead counsel for the petitioners, indicated that owing to the miscommunication relating to future inspection of the ballots, the petitioners would no longer consent to the inspection order as drafted.

Due to the sudden and unexpected conclusion that had been arrived at, counsel for the respondents indicated that they were unable at the time to formulate arguments for a trial.

The matter was then adjourned to December, 2017 or January, 2018, depending on the schedule of the participants in the matter.

On December 28, 2015, the High Court dismissed the first application filed by Exeter, which asked, among other things, to have the ballot boxes placed in the custody of the Registrar of the High Court, for the ballot boxes to be opened by the Registrar in the presence of Exeter and also for Exeter to be allowed to inspect the ballots. The application also asked that the sealed packets containing counterfoils be opened by the Registrar in the presence of Exeter and he be permitted to inspect the counterfoils.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Front Page
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    This country has lost another former Member of Parliament with the death on Tuesday morning of Alpian Allen, who represented the constituency of North...
    Front Page
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle gun violence in SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    ACTING Commissioner of Police Trevor Bailey, said newly promoted Deputy Commissioner Acting Brenton Smith, has been assigned to take strategic command...
    Front Page
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Godwin Friday, has publicly reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG), to Taiwan with whom it is this ...
    Front Page
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    by Grace Francis A Vincentian mother who spent 10 years serving in the Royal Navy is celebrating the academic achievements of her daughter, Destiny Ro...
    Front Page
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    As the Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) kicks off its promotional campaign leading to the celebration of 50 years of the change over of carnival...
    Front Page
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Lawyer Grant Connell has concluded that his Majesty’s Prison (HMP) has now become like the Red Cross, as some people want to go there to get free room...
    News
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Fixing the issues at St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG), various airports is high on the agenda of the current administration and one thing that is ...
    News
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Opposition Senator Carlos James says the increasing frequency of gun-related incidents and homicides in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is a serio...
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    From the Courts, News
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    A cashier who is alleged to have stolen almost $70-thousand from a senior citizen over a span of several weeks in 2023 and 2024 pleaded not guilty whe...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok