Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Otis Lockhart never  ill-treated family – Former landlords
Front Page
May 23, 2017

Otis Lockhart never ill-treated family – Former landlords

Two former landlords of Otis Lockhart have vouched for the father of three, who, since last week, has been ridiculed and criticized by sections of the media and a wide cross-section of the public.

Lockhart, a former Petersville Primary School and St Martin’s Secondary School (SMSS) student, was detained by police on Monday, May 15, after someone reported to law enforcement that he, his wife and three children were living in inadequate conditions in an area on Bequia known as St Hilary.

Lockhart was kept by the police for 48 hours and released without charge, but he was prevented from seeing his family for almost a week, as the local Social Services Department and the United States Embassy investigated allegations of kidnapping, mistreatment and abuse. He has been cleared of any wrongdoing and was reunited with his family yesterday.

On Monday, businessman Marcus Mayers of Prospect told SEARCHLIGHT that he rented a property to Lockhart for a year and over that time he got to know the Vincentian man with American citizenship very well.

“He stayed by me for a little over a year; when I met him we spoke a while and I got to know him and I realize that he is a very articulate person, a smart guy,” Mayers said in a telephone interview.

He said that Lockhart and his family enjoyed their privacy and liked to be by themselves.

“…so when I see the thing happen in Bequia, I say, ok, that’s just what he’s about. He just likes to seclude himself… he and his wife,” said Mayers.

However, Mayers opined that Lockhart should give his kids a little more freedom, “The only problem I think you know… he confine the kids a little too much”.

“…but that’s the only thing I would say. I am not saying anything negative about him, I like the guy and he is a very smart person; my mom had like him… and you know, we got along, we always got along,” stressed Mayers.

Mayers described Lockhart’s wife as “nice”.

“We never had any problem… we never had a problem. I used to go shopping for them, like for instance, he went to New York for a while and I used to take them shopping and so. So, I got to know her also, she’s a nice, educated lady.”

Mayers said that he does not know if the decision to move to the tent was a joint decision, but from his observation, Lockhart was in charge of his family.

“I think he was more in charge… he was the man and he functioned as a man. He was the provider. One thing I do know, he spent a lot on groceries. He said that on the interview and it’s true… he did spend a lot on groceries.”

Mayers also noted that “the kids were smart” and Lockhart’s wife said that they were being home schooled.

“As a matter of fact, my nieces used to come around and those kids, to me, were more advanced than my nieces who going to the best schools in St Vincent. So, I have no problem with home schooling. To me home schooling is better than going to those primary schools. That’s my opinion,” stressed Mayers.

Juanita Rogers, a woman on Bequia who also rented to Lockhart, said that she never observed Lockhart mistreating his family or doing anything that would make her suspicious of him.

She said that Lockhart lived on her property for a year before he moved.

“…They used to dey with us, anything I do, I give them… they used to dey around us. I never see he do dem no evil, not nothing,” said Rogers.

The Bequia resident said that she does not think that Lockhart is strange, but she realized that when the sun was out, Lockhart’s family would stay inside.

“…They don’t come out, they does be inside all the time and in the evening, they does come out,” noted Rogers, who added that Lockhart’s children would play with her child and then return indoors.

“He said when he go back home, he woulda send them to me, but I didn’t know nothing about that. I just feel sorry (is happening to him). I didn’t find no fault with him and his children,” commented Rogers, who revealed that even after he stopped renting from her and was renting a property elsewhere, she would go to the other house and visit him. She said that she lost contact with him after he moved to St Hilary.

Rogers said that Lockhart always paid his rent on time and would buy a lot of groceries every week.
 

Superintendent of Police Richard Browne told the media last week Wednesday that Lockhart’s wife, a Connecticut native, said that her husband did nothing wrong and the family wanted to remain with him.

On Monday, Lockhart released a statement that read, “As a husband, a father and proud Vincentian, I think it’s important that I clear the air about any speculation that I may have abused my children. My wife and kids have said this is not true,” said Lockhart in the statement.

He said that he is inviting the police and the media to contact people who know his wife and kids personally.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok