Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Murder charges dropped
Front Page
April 28, 2017

Murder charges dropped

The two men accused of the shooting murder of 10-month-year-old Mozari Lee and the attempted murder of his parents Mozart Lee and Shelly-Ann Durham were freed of the charges on Tuesday.

Martin “Jahson” James and Recardo “Shrek” McFee had the charges against them discharged at the Serious Offences Court after the Crown failed to provide evidence to place both men at the scene of the crime, where the three members of the family were shot on October 7, 2016.

Last week Wednesday, April 19, eight persons, including Mozart and Shelly-Ann, testified in the Preliminary Inquiry (PI). However, none of the witnesses identified the Villa residents as the shooters.

In light of this, senior prosecutor Adolphus Delpesche asked that Monty Hillocks, a man who escaped unharmed from the area during the shooting, be made to testify.

However, on Tuesday when the PI resumed, Hillocks was a no-show, forcing the Crown to put the investigating officer, Inspector Sherol James, who is also the head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) in Calliaqua, on the witness stand.

Inspector James’ testimony took the court through the investigation process, but instead of strengthening the Crown’s case, the testimony of the 30-year police veteran pointed to the alleged shooters being at a shop in Glen during the shooting.

In turn, lawyers Israel Bruce and Grant Connell, who represented accused McFee and James, respectively, both made no-case submissions.

Bruce told the court that McFee had no case to answer, as the Crown’s case rested primarily on the evidence of Mozari’s parents, witness Randy Humphrey, PC Campbell and Inspector James, who failed to assist the prosecution in placing the men at the scene.

The defence lawyer reminded the court that as part of her testimony, Shelly-Ann said the area was dark and she was sitting with Mozari about five feet away from Mozart, however, could not tell who shot them.

Bruce also went back to Mozart Lee’s testimony, which told the court that the gunshot he received knocked him to the ground, at which time he pretended to be dead and could not tell the court who shot him, his girlfriend and their son.

The lawyer further pointed out that Randy Humphrey, who worked with Mozart, said he heard the shots and threw himself to the ground and also could not assist the court in determining who shot the three family members.

The court also heard that PC Campbell briefly combed the scene and then handed over the investigation to Inspector James and according to Bruce, PC Campbell also could not assist the court.

Bruce also pointed out that Inspector James told the court that it was “confirmed” that McFee was where he said he was (liming at a shop in Glen) and was not at the scene of the crime.

“I invite this honourable court to find that there is no evidence to ask Recardo McFee to stand trial for the murder of Mozari Lee and the attempt on Shelly Ann and Mozart’s life,” Bruce added.

Connell made a similar submission on behalf of accused James, while describing the investigation as a dismal failure.

He said, “There is absolutely no evidence at all to substantiate a charge of this nature against Martin James”.

Connell said the evidence presented by the Crown was riddled with inconsistencies and filled with questions like, “what was done… what was removed… who moved what?”

According to him, the evidence is a manifestation of the investigation techniques and procedures “in what we call our police force”.

“It is sad that a citizen would spend months in prison without any evidence to substantiate a charge… it is sad,” stressed Connell.

He went on to state that the court is now privy to the poor investigation techniques of the local constabulary.

“Police have a duty to society to find and charge the right people, from Glen Jackson right up to Mozart Lee,” said Connell, who stressed that the shooter is certainly not James.

However, the senior prosecutor, who did not argue that the matter be sent to the High Court, defended the police officers and refuted Connell’s statement which described the investigation as a dismal failure.

“Inspector James did a marvellous job,” he asserted.

In turn, the Chief Magistrate agreed with the defence’s submission and discharged the matter.

However, while former accused James left the court under police escort, McFee remained in police custody, as he is currently serving a 15-month jail sentence for having 30 rounds of ammunition in his possession. (AS)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok