Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Father of Rock Gutter victim says he respects magistrate’s decision
Front Page
April 7, 2017

Father of Rock Gutter victim says he respects magistrate’s decision

Inspector in the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) Hezron Ballantyne says that he respects the decision by Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias to dismiss the seven involuntary manslaughter charges related to the 2015 Rock Gutter accident.

Inspector Ballantyne is the father of Simonique Ballantyne, one of seven students who died on January 12, 2015, when minibus HL636, in which she was travelling, plunged into the sea at Rock Gutter.

The other six students are Racquel Ashton, Chanstacia Stay, Glenroy Michael, Jamall and Jamalie Edwards and Anique Alexander. Ballantyne and Stay were never recovered from the waters and they are presumed dead.

Last Friday, two men, Pastor Ehud Myers and chauffeur Davanan Nanton were freed of seven counts of involuntary manslaughter after Browne-Matthias upheld the no case submission made by their lawyers Grant Connell and Israel Bruce.

Speaking to SEARCHLIGHT yesterday, Inspector Ballantyne said that based on the evidence that was presented to Browne-Matthias, she decided to uphold the no case submission made by the defence and that is something that he must respect.

“I know that some of the parents would not accept it because of the emotions involved and more so because they heard from other persons that the vehicle had problems,” said the bereaved father who said he misses his daughter a lot.

Ballantyne said that there is a lot of talk as to what happened on that fateful day even though the persons involved are saying that nothing was wrong with the vehicle.

On Tuesday, December 3, 2015, a month-long Coroner’s Inquest into the incident revealed that the persons responsible for the minivan had been given several warnings to take the vehicle off the road.

Ballantyne said that while the evidence presented at the coroner’s inquest was sufficient to get the case to the stage of Preliminary Inquiry (PI), what was observed is that all the evidence that was provided at the Coroner’s Inquest, was not all presented at the PI.

“…should that evidence [have] presented itself [at the PI], I think that it (the case) would have taken on a different turn,” offered Ballantyne.

He noted that at this point, his major concern is whether the persons involved were truthful to the police and investigating officers in relation to the condition of the vehicle.

He added, “the thing is, you can forgive but it is difficult to forget, forgiveness comes from the Almighty.”

Myers and Nanton were charged, along with head teacher of the Fancy Government School Colbert Bowens; however, the charges were withdrawn against Bowens on May 3, 2016.

During his no case submission on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, lawyer Grant Connell, who represented Myers, told the court that absolutely no evidence was presented to prove that Myers caused the death of the students by omission.

Last Friday, March 31, the Chief Magistrate, in giving her ruling, pointed out that the prosecution’s case was that the accused caused the death of the students by omission; however, the defence submitted that the Crown has not proven its case.

She agreed with the prosecution and ruled that the court upheld the defense’s submission that there was no case to answer.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok