Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Fire leaves families homeless
Front Page
November 4, 2016

Fire leaves families homeless

A raging inferno destroyed two residences at Long Wall last Tuesday. However, another ‘fire’ seems to be brewing between a resident of one of the burnt houses and the woman who recently purchased it.

The fire, which engulfed the house at around 1 p.m. saw residents Esther Rollins and Delano Simmons losing their belongings and the places which they called home.

Rollins, who lived in the smaller of the two of the houses, told reporters that she was alerted to the fire while walking along Long Lane Upper, in the vicinity of the National Insurance Services.{{more}}

“…After coming from carrying my son lunch, I came down on the block here. When I walking coming round NIS, I hear somebody shout out my house on fire up here,” she recalled.

However, while she was speaking to the media, shouts of “She bun down the house” could be heard from the disgruntled owner of the property.

Villagers and friends had to restrain the homeowner, who was gesticulating in front of Rollins’ face, as they both participated in an expletive riddled exchange.

Rollins explained that she had been at odds with the new owner of the house, who, she claimed, wanted her out of the property immediately.

“Is a fight down going on whole week with the house issue, with the owner for the house selling the house behind my back and they fighting me down to go behind it. They want me out of it so bad that this is last thing that I would a expect them to do,” the visibly shook up woman said.

Rollins, who said that she lived in the house with her two children, claims she has nowhere to go. She explained that she had earlier that morning been given an extended time in which to clear out of the house in which she had lived since 2013.

“… Up to this morning, I went to the lawyer [to see if] they could extend the time they could give me to move…and so they agree to give me until December, because they had given me the 15th of November. They extended the time until the ending of December. This is the last thing I expect, because I have nowhere else to go,” Rollins explained.

Both women, however, have denied setting the house on fire.

Delano Simmons, a 29-year-old man, who with his girlfriend and child occupied the larger of the two houses, explained that after he saw the fire, he tried to salvage his belongings.

“I saw the fire below me and I done see is board house I got, so I say let me get me thing them out of the place before they catch,” he recalled.

While he was able to pull his television out of his house before it was destroyed, all his other possessions went up in the blaze.

“Clothes … everything, personal documents. I had a small change saving – $2,000 it gone. Right now I have nothing. My option is to stay by my mother until I catch back myself.”

Up to press time, police were still investigating the cause of the fire. (CM)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Front Page
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    FISHERMEN and other users of the sea in St Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), are said to be on edge following a lethal US military strike...
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has taken the Dr. Godwin Friday-led government to task over its silence on the destruction of an apparent fish...
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Front Page
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Dr. Godwin Friday said the opposition responded to the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) fiscal package saying that it is going to make peop...
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    WHAT EXACTLY CAUSED a brawl that seemingly began in the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlet on Bay Street and spilled onto the streets of Kingstown is...
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Front Page
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER and Minister of National Security, Major St Clair Leacock, is firm in his resolve to rid St Vincent and the Grenadines of gang c...
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok