Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Molotov cocktails thrown at electricity company building twice in three days
Front Page
January 5, 2016

Molotov cocktails thrown at electricity company building twice in three days

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the St Vincent Electricity Services Ltd (VINLEC) Thornley Myers says that he strongly doubts that the recent firebomb attack on the company’s headquarters annex has anything to do with an aggrieved customer.

Myers spoke to the SEARCHLIGHT yesterday in the wake of the attacks on the utility company’s building at Paul’s Avenue.

“I doubt it could have anything to do with an electricity bill, because the fuel surcharge is the lowest since 2009, so I don’t think it has anything to do with electricity,” stressed Myers, who added that Vincentians should be proud of VINLEC, as the electricity provider is a Vincentian company that was built by Vincentians.

“….people have a lot of pride in VINLEC, knowing it is owned by us Vincentians and nobody with a bill issue will take such an action,” said the CEO, who described the incidents as “baffling” and “disturbing”.

On two separate occasions between January 1 and January 4, Molotov cocktails were thrown at the west side of the newly constructed annex to the headquarters building.

The first attack was discovered on January 1 by a security guard, who made the unnerving discovery that someone had tried to set fire to the building by throwing bottles filled with flammable liquid, while making his usual security patrol.

On Monday, January 4, it was discovered that a second attempt had been made to firebomb the building.

A release sent out yesterday by head of the Police Public Relations Department Inspector Hawkins Nanton said that the police are investigating the incidents.

“Over the past four days, the police have responded to two attempts by person(s) to firebomb the St Vincent Electricity Services Ltd (VINLEC) head office at Paul’s Avenue, Kingstown.

“On Monday, January 4th, 2016, at 12:25 a.m., members of the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force responded to a report that a suspicious material appearing to be rubber was seen burning on VINLEC’s Paul’s Avenue compound. When the police arrived charred remains of a cloth like material and fragments of burnt bottle were also found lying on the grass in the yard. There was also odor of flammable fumes coming from the fragments.

“This comes on the heels of a similar incident, which took place on January 1st, 2016, when a security guard at VINLEC’s Paul’s Avenue compound discovered a Molotov cocktail (flambeaux) of pieces of broken bottles and a cloth like material on the ground behind VINLEC’s office building. The odor of kerosene also came from the bottles.

“The police view these incidents seriously and give the assurance that they will be thoroughly investigated,” said Inspector Nanton in the release.

When SEARCHLIGHT visited the VINLEC compound on Monday, bottle fragments could still be seen on the ground at the side of the building, while two patches of burnt grass were visible at the back of the building.

The security guard who reported the January 1 incident said that when he came upon the broken bottles and smelled kerosene, he was a bit startled, as he realized that someone had tried to set the building ablaze.

The building that had been targeted houses VINLEC’s Administrative Department and is also the place where people come to pay their electricity bills.

“People would sometimes come out after paying bills and say they going burn it down, but you never expect them to really try,” said one of the security guards on duty.

CEO Myers, however, reiterated his doubts that the incident had anything to do with a disgruntled customer.

He is, however, asking persons to be vigilant, adding that persons must realize that the utility company is not owned by the staff, management or even the Government, but by the people of St Vincent and the Grenadines.

“This entire country has invested in bringing VINLEC where it was after it was taken over by the Government in 1985. We have all worked to build this company and it is ours and I would say that no one upset with an electricity bill would take such action; this has to be inspired by something else,” said Myers.

He noted that he is leaving it up to the public to be vigilant, as no Vincentian should condone destroying VINLEC’s assets.

VINLEC’s Paul’s Avenue headquarters has been in that location since 1995, while the annex was completed last year. Myers said that if the building was destroyed, it would have put a temporary dent in their operation, as would the destruction of any other component of their infrastructure.(LC)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Front Page
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    This country has lost another former Member of Parliament with the death on Tuesday morning of Alpian Allen, who represented the constituency of North...
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle  gun violence in SVG
    Front Page
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle gun violence in SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    ACTING Commissioner of Police Trevor Bailey, said newly promoted Deputy Commissioner Acting Brenton Smith, has been assigned to take strategic command...
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Front Page
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Godwin Friday, has publicly reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG), to Taiwan with whom it is this ...
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Front Page
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    by Grace Francis A Vincentian mother who spent 10 years serving in the Royal Navy is celebrating the academic achievements of her daughter, Destiny Ro...
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Front Page
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    As the Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) kicks off its promotional campaign leading to the celebration of 50 years of the change over of carnival...
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Front Page
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Lawyer Grant Connell has concluded that his Majesty’s Prison (HMP) has now become like the Red Cross, as some people want to go there to get free room...
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Fixing the issues at St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG), various airports is high on the agenda of the current administration and one thing that is ...
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    News
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Opposition Senator Carlos James says the increasing frequency of gun-related incidents and homicides in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is a serio...
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    From the Courts, News
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    A cashier who is alleged to have stolen almost $70-thousand from a senior citizen over a span of several weeks in 2023 and 2024 pleaded not guilty whe...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok