Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Minister says strike off, NOBA says strike still on
Front Page
October 6, 2015

Minister says strike off, NOBA says strike still on

There are mixed signals coming out of a meeting held yesterday between Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport and Works senator Julian Francis and president of the National Omni-Bus Association (NOBA) Anthony ‘Code Red’ Bacchus.

Francis, in an interview with {{more}}SEARCHLIGHT yesterday said he believes that talk of strike action has been suspended; however, according to Bacchus, plans to strike are still on.

“There is a general agreement that no such action will take place…following the decision of the Commissioner [of Police] on Thursday, I believe an announcement will be made then,” Francis said.

“We have decided…to carry out repairs on some roads, working on the worse roads…,” the minister said.

According to Francis, the issue of granting permission to minibuses to drive up Kingstown Hill on afternoons between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. was also discussed during his meeting with Bacchus.

Francis said the Commissioner of Police, who was also at the meeting, will give his decision on that particular matter on Thursday this week, and a release will be made sometime during the week as to whether this request of NOBA will be allowed or not.

However, when SEARCHLIGHT contacted Bacchus, he was adamant that strike action is still on.

“The strike is … still on. We will let the public know Wednesday or Thursday exactly how we are moving forward, but as of right now, after the meeting with Senator Francis and the Commissioner of Police, the strike is still on.”

Bacchus remained tight-lipped about any decision that was made during the meeting, but assured SEARCHLIGHT that the public will be made aware of the association’s plans to move forward later this week.

Members of NOBA who attended a meeting of the Association on Sunday at the Haddon Hotel, also seemed to come away believing that plans to strike had been suspended.

There were approximately 20 members in attendance, some of whom spoke to SEARCHLIGHT afterwards, and expressed their displeasure at the outcome.

“They took a different point of view than what we was planning whole week,” one irritated bus operator stated.

He stated that he went to the meeting expecting one thing and what he got at the meeting was something completely different.

He stated that he believes that strike action was suspended following a telephone call Bacchus got from Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves, asking him to meet with minister of State in the Ministry of Works Senator Julian Francis.

The bus driver noted that the members of the association had already agreed they were not going to meet with Francis, hence his disappointment.

“If they planning to do anything, I not in it,” he stated firmly.

Another irate bus driver was heard saying “They sell we out,” following the meeting.

A third operator also told SEARCHLIGHT it was his understanding that the strike action had been suspended, pending the outcome of the meeting with Francis, which was held yesterday. (CM)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    UWI’s vision to be the hub of the Caribbean’s future
    Press Release
    UWI’s vision to be the hub of the Caribbean’s future
    Jada 
    May 17, 2026
    The UWI Regional Headquarters, Jamaica | Friday, May 15, 2026—Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Hilary Beckles described the 2024/2025 academic year as a ...
    “Doing More with Less”:  UWI Drives Growth, Innovation and Global Reach
    Press Release
    “Doing More with Less”: UWI Drives Growth, Innovation and Global Reach
    Jada 
    May 17, 2026
    The UWI Regional Headquarters, Jamaica | Friday, May 15, 2026 — “Doing more with less” is guiding The University of the West Indies (The UWI) as it re...
    Jamaica to Host 2nd CTO Air Connectivity Summit Next February
    Press Release
    Jamaica to Host 2nd CTO Air Connectivity Summit Next February
    Jada 
    May 17, 2026
    ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA (May 15, 2026) — Jamaica will host the second annual Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) Air Connectivity Summit in Kingston on F...
    SVG Seamoss Industry Secures Major Breakthrough at EU 50th Anniversary Showcase
    SVG Seamoss Industry Secures Major Breakthrough at EU 50th Anniversary Showcase
    Jada 
    May 17, 2026
    The Seamoss Association of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SMASVG) proudly represented the nation at the European Union’s 50th Anniversary celebration...
    Delcy Rodríguez: Venezuela Will Not Become 51st State of the US
    Press Release
    Delcy Rodríguez: Venezuela Will Not Become 51st State of the US
    Jada 
    May 16, 2026
    “We will continue to defend [territorial] integrity, sovereignty, and independence. Our history is a history of glory, of men and women who gave their...
    Colombia and IICA intensify cooperation to enhance rural resilience and innovation
    Press Release
    Colombia and IICA intensify cooperation to enhance rural resilience and innovation
    Jada 
    May 16, 2026
    Bogota, 15 May 2026 (IICA) – While on a mission to Colombia, Muhammad Ibrahim, Director General of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agr...
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...
    National Cost of Living Task Force convenes first meeting
    News
    National Cost of Living Task Force convenes first meeting
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    THE National Cost of Living Task Force (NCLTF) established by the Dr. Godwin Friday led administration, convened its first meeting on May 11, 2026, ho...
    iShowSpeed visit cost less than $100,000 for SVG, says Minister of Tourism
    News
    iShowSpeed visit cost less than $100,000 for SVG, says Minister of Tourism
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    WHILE THE Ministry of Tourism is somewhat tight-lipped on precisely how much was spent to pull off the iShowSpeed visit to St Vincent and the Grenadin...
    Special emphasis will be placed on decentralizing this year’s Fisherman’s Day activities
    News
    Special emphasis will be placed on decentralizing this year’s Fisherman’s Day activities
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    WITH FISHERMAN’S DAY approaching, the President of the National Fisherfolks Organization, Winsbert Harry, has highlighted the significance of the annu...
    Ministry of Tourism launches “LOVE SVG” project
    News
    Ministry of Tourism launches “LOVE SVG” project
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    MINISTER FORTOURISM, Civil Aviation and Sustainable Development, Dr. Kishore Shallow, officially launched the “LOVE SVG” project during a press confer...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok