Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Two masked men invade Male Surgical Ward after hours
Front Page
October 11, 2013

Two masked men invade Male Surgical Ward after hours

Two recent visitors to the male surgical ward of the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital have left patients and nurses fearful for their safety, in what a senior health official has described as a serious breach in security.{{more}}

SEARCHLIGHT understands that two men entered the ward long past visiting hours last week Wednesday night, in search of a patient who had been shot earlier that day.

A patient who witnessed the terrifying incident said he believes the men came for more than a courtesy call, and the experience has left him worried.

“We need some tighter security so they could secure the patients and the nurses. I hopeful that they would increase the security, whether guard or SSU… because if a person could leave from the outside and come in the hospital at that hour to hurt somebody… then you must need some form of security, so I would really like to see them equip the hospital with security because one of we could pay the price and we don’t deserve to pay the price,” the man said.

Speaking to SEARCHLIGHT on the condition of anonymity, the patient recounted the ordeal, which he said took place some time after midnight, just as he was about to fall asleep.

“When I dozing off, I see somebody pass by the louvres there, so I say ‘that must be a jumbie gone dey’; is the first I going see a jumbie, so I watching good.

“But the person stand up by the door and peep in and then go down to the next side of the door and go inside and sit down on a bed over there,” the patient recounted.

“So, I watching the person good, good, good. He come, he start to peep in man face.

The witness described the intruder as tall, dark, and bareback.

He said he did not see the individual’s face, as he had what appeared to be a black t-shirt around his face, which made it impossible for him to be recognized.

“I had a partner who was on that bed over there, the partner was covered right over, he (the intruder) went and hold up the sheet and start peeping in he face to see if that is the person, but that wasn’t the person,” the man told SEARCHLIGHT, while gesturing and pointing.

“….For sure he had a tool (weapon) on him, because when he going at the partner to search the partner face, he had he hand like that and peeping in the partner face to make sure that is the man he looking for, and is definitely is kill he come kill somebody in here.”

The patient said that when the visitor did not find the individual he was looking for, he approached a nurse asking “Way the person who get the gun shot? He down here?” to which the nurse replied “no”.

The patient said that the man then left the ward, but about half an hour later, another individual came on the ward.

“When I look I see a next human come in again with a black jersey. This time he showing he hair and long beard and asking the nurse if the person still in here with the gun shots, so the nurse say “no” and he jump over the bar.

The patient told SEARCHLIGHT that he understands that the police were called and one of the individuals was apprehended.

This could not be confirmed by SEARCHLIGHT, as calls to the Criminal Investigations Department of the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force, requesting information, were not returned.

“I was scared, especially when the person fist me and then he put he face a how and then I see he put he hand by he side like he push down whatever he had…. He fist me because he know I see him.

“Me heart beat plenty, because is the first I experience them kinda thing dey. I wondering now if the person been in here, what woulda happen to people on the ward, because here should be more equipped with security.”

SEARCHLIGHT understands that this is not the first time an incident of this nature has occurred at the hospital, especially at the male surgical ward, which accommodates mostly patients who are recovering from injuries inflicted through violence, including the patient who spoke to SEARCHLIGHT.

Also speaking under anonymity, one nurse confirmed that the incident did occur, and also expressed her own concern about working on that ward, especially at nights,

“You have a lot of stab wounds and stuff like that, and people always coming to look for revenge in those cases.

“The only how police or prison officers would be on the ward is like if they are there with a particular prisoner or something like that,” she said.

The nurse made an appeal for an armed guard be posted at the ward at all times.

The 30-bed ward, located on the southern end of the hospital, on the second floor, is secured on one side by a wire fence, while on the other side it is unsecured.

A call by SEARCHLIGHT to hospital administration was directed to Luis deShong, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment, who said that the matter had been brought to his attention, and was being looked into.

“This is a serious breach in security which will have to be addressed as a matter of urgency,” deShong said.

“There is a security company in place and I believe it is necessary for us to hold dialogue with the proprietor so that we could address the next steps to make some determination about where we go in the future,” he added.

“It is important as the parent ministry that we pay close attention to the security of staff, patients and visitors, and that the members of staff, and that the patients and the public could all be made to feel comfortable when they visit, or when they work, or when they are patients at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital.”

deShong said that the matter was discussed with the health minister Clayton Burgin, and assured the public that security is an issue on which the minister places enormous emphasis.

The patient also said that he feels for the nurses, after seeing their facial expressions moments after the incident occurred.

“When I tell the nurse she was real scared too, all them came there and was watching, you could see the fright in them.

“Them is just ladies. What they could do? They can’t defend the patients; they might run and leave we; some ah we got piece ah foot, we go can’t run,” the man said.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok