Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
SJCK students protest in support of Principal
Front Page
October 8, 2013

SJCK students protest in support of Principal

The students of the St Joseph’s Convent Kingstown (SJCK) Monday added their voices to those who have been protesting the reinstatement by the court of a former student of the school.{{more}}

The classrooms of the school remained empty yesterday, as members of the student body congregated at the front gate, many bearing placards, calling on the student at the midst of the impasse, to leave.

“We are protesting in the name of discipline,” one student told SEARCHLIGHT.

“We want justice on the part of the students,” she continued, saying that the students had taken a decision to protest on behalf of the staff and students.

“All of us are upset — exams are a few months away and we can’t be suffering because of one child — so I want justice, because we can’t be suffering because of one,” a fifth form student said.

When asked who planned the demonstration, the student said they, the students did, as they want the student in question to leave.

Malika Providence, Head Girl and a fifth form student, explained that the decision to demonstrate, was taken on Friday.

“Because discipline is a must in any institution, not only at St Joseph’s Convent Kingstown, but considering that we are a convent school, discipline is key and we as students know that and we want to ensure that it is maintained and rebuilt as of today, hopefully,” Providence said.

Principal Calma Balcombe, in an interview with SEARCHLIGHT, said she did not have much to say on the matter, except that she was at the High Court when she received a call from a member of staff who informed her of what was taking place.

Monday’s protest action by the students, according to Balcombe, came as a surprise.

Two weeks ago, on September 23, teachers at the SJCK walked off the job when the student who had been transferred from the SJCK to another school, by the Ministry of Education, turned up, escorted by her mother for classes. The following day, the teachers all reported sick. On September 25, school resumed with some degree of normalcy.

The Friday before, Justice Frederick Bruce-Lyle had issued an ex-parte order that the child be allowed to return to school until the matter was settled.

Jomo Thomas, lawyer for student’s parent, told SEARCHLIGHT in an interview on September 22 that the situation arose following an incident which had taken place earlier this year when the student wrote a comment considered to be very disrespectful about a teacher on work which had been submitted for assessment.

“There was an incident back in March, and the child was disciplined; she was suspended for two days, and the child did an exam and got a zero for the exam.

“There were meetings: the parent, the child, the school officials, the parent, the child, the Ministry of Education officials, after which, the child returned to school all of the third term without incident. And then at the end of the term, the child selected the kind of classes she wanted; she selected science courses and she was placed in the science bracket,” Thomas said.

“She had properly done her work sufficiently to be promoted, and she got a report card that said she was promoted to form 4S, and she was also given a letter, which was not addressed to her or her mother; it was addressed to the principal of another school and the letter said that the child was transferred to his school, and the child, because of the report card, which said that she should report to Form 4S, showed up at the school at the beginning of the term and they refused to let her in.”

Thomas said the parent came to him, and the matter was filed for judicial review, and on Friday, September 20, the court ordered that the student should return to school with immediate effect, until the final determination of the matter.

The lawsuit filed by the student’s parent has been brought against Balcombe, the St Joseph’s Convent Kingstown, the Ministry of Education, Chief Education Officer Lou-anne Gilchrist, and Senior Education Officer with responsibility for secondary schools Asfo Stephens.

The impasse between the school and the parent of the child has drawn a significant amount of media attention. The Association of Principals of Secondary Schools and the parent teachers’ association of the SJCK have both expressed solidarity with Balcombe and the teachers of the school.

The matter was called up for hearing last Friday before Justice Wesley James, who adjourned the matter to November. However, following that ruling, the Attorney General Judith Jones Morgan filed an injuction, which saw the matter being heard before Justice Gertel Thom yesterday. Justice Frederick Bruce-Lyle has recused himself from the matter as his wife, a lawyer, is one of the school’s legal representatives and a member of the school board. (DD)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Sir Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities ...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok