Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Lawyer says Burton’s arrest was ‘unlawful and wrongful’
Front Page
October 2, 2012

Lawyer says Burton’s arrest was ‘unlawful and wrongful’

With his lawyer’s no-case submission overruled yesterday, politician Burton Williams will at 1:30 p.m. today — Tuesday — continue his testimony in the trial involving two criminal charges against him.{{more}}

The former health minister is charged with behaving in a manner in which a breach of peace was likely to be occasioned, contrary to section 15 of the Public Order Act, Chapter 396.

He is also accused of attempting to damage property.

The charges stem from an alleged incident at the House of Assembly, during a protest march and rally on January 28, 2011.

The protest was organised by the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP), of which Williams is a member.

Senior Magistrate Donald Browne yesterday overruled a no-case submission by Williams’ counsel, Andreas Coombs.

Compelling evidence

“There is evidence. The evidence is very compelling,” Browne said in his ruling at the Kingstown Magistrates’ Court.

In his no-case submission, Coombs said no property was specified in the damage to property charge.

“This is a fundamental error; a fundamental defect,” the lawyer argued.

Police sergeant Ornal Jacobs told the court last week that Burton and other protestors used a barricade to ram the main gate to the parliament building.

Police corporal Wilma Black-Williams also said she saw when Williams and other protestors began to “ram the supreme court gate”.

Coombs argued that not stating what property in the charge was “a faxing issue”.

“By not being able to identify the faxing issue, a determination could not have been properly made whether or not the element of the offence is satisfied,” he said.

“… how are we to determine what property Mr Williams was trying to damage? It is imperative in the circumstances [that] the charge specify precisely what property they are saying he tried to damage.”

The lawyer said the prosecution did not use the provisions set out in the law to remedy the charge.

“… We don’t know precisely what case the prosecution should have proved because of the fatal defect in the charge.”

In relation to the charge of breaching the peace, Coombs said there was evidence by police officers who said they were around the scene when the incident allegedly occurred.

In addressing the testimony of former Assistant Superintendent of Police Willisford Caesar, Coombs asked: “Was he (Caesar) present when the alleged breach of the peace occurred? The answer is a resounding ‘no’.”

No treats, no confrontation

Coombs said Black-Williams said she called Caesar, who said when he arrived he did not see any member of the crowd threatening his officers nor was there any physical confrontation between his officers and the crowd.

“In the first instance, Caesar was not present when the alleged incident took place,” Coombs said.

“A breach of the peace is alleged to have been committed five months after Caesar decided to charge?” he asked.

On June 16, 2011, five months after the alleged incident, Caesar invited Williams to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), in relation to the matter, but Williams did not give a statement.

Williams was then arrested and charged.

Coombs said that by June 16, 2011, Caesar did not have the power to arrest Williams for breach of the peace “because he was not present to apprehend or view the breach of the peace as it was occurring.”

The lawyer said the arrest of his client was “unlawful and wrongful”.

“Once there is no longer any threat of breach of the peace, the powers of arrest no longer exist,” he said.

“… We are humbly requesting our no-case submission to be upheld and Williams acquitted,” Coombs argued.

Cases to answer

In response, crown counsel Colin John said there was in fact a case on both charges for Williams to answer.

John argued that Williams was not charged for breach of the peace, but with behaving in a manner in which a breach of peace was likely to be occasioned.

“This is a case where the magistrate could prove beyond reasonable doubt by the evidence provided,” John said, adding, “I am not submitting that my case is weak or tenuous, but this case should be put to Mr Williams.

“We are saying that there is sufficient evidence for a conviction. We are satisfied that a prima facie case was made out and therefore he should be asked to answer the charges.”

John defended the charges against Williams, saying there was no defect in either of them.

“I am submitting that the accused had full disclosure, and we submitted all statements way ahead of time. They (defense) knew what charge they had to meet and had adequate time to prepare,” John added.

Williams was a minister under the NDP before falling out of favour with the party in 1994 and returned as a candidate during the 2010 elections.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Front Page
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    KEMARLIE DURRANT STOOD out as the only international student honoured among the 12 recipients of the 2026 Ming Chuan University Outstanding Youth Awar...
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Front Page
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A VINCENTIAN ON the nursing team at the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, has been named Nurse of the Year as the hospital celebrates Nursing ...
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Front Page
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    ARCHBISHOP CHARLIE BLACKMAN from the Rock of Ages Evangelicals Spiritual Baptists of Barbados, along with many of the faith’s practitioners arrived in...
    Lawyer to take action on behalf  of accused  police officers
    Front Page
    Lawyer to take action on behalf of accused police officers
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE DECISION by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) to suspend without pay, officers who are accused of crimes, has attracte...
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Front Page
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT said that plans are underway to deal with the housing issues in the Grenadines, as well as the water problem that has been plaguing the...
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Front Page
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CLARE VALLEY MAN, who is alleged to have attempted to murder Nadia Slater, the Acting Director of the Agency for Public Information (API) was rema...
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS under the Unity Labour Party (ULP) administration were not given the freedom to do their jobs property, Prime Minister (PM) Dr. Godwin...
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    News
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has reminded the general public that the New Democratic Party (NDP) now in gov...
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    News
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CENTRE for Enterprise Development (CED) brought together agro-processors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, financiers and other stakeholders on Tuesda...
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    News
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A NEW CALYPSO tent will be part of this year’s Vincy Mas Great Escape, when the tents begin to present their casts for the 2026 carnival season on Tue...
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok