Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Man chops up women, ingests unknown substance
Front Page
October 18, 2011

Man chops up women, ingests unknown substance

While 46-year-old Rosalie Roberts and her 25-year-old daughter Shanique are thankful to God for being alive, the women are struggling to forgive the man whose actions landed them both at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital.{{more}}

The women received cutlass chops from Rosalie’s boyfriend of four years, Errol Anderson, who himself is a patient at the same hospital, after he ingested an unknown substance.

Anderson allegedly attacked the women on the night of Saturday October 15, then proceeded to set their five bedroom house on fire, after a brief argument, which none of the women expected to become near fatal.

The mother of four daughters and one son, who celebrated her latest birthday one day after coming close to death, told SEARCHLIGHT from her hospital bed in the Female Surgical Ward of the hospital, that moments before she was attacked, she had just returned to her Troumaca home from a funeral with Anderson, also known as ‘Scravy’.

She said that disagreement arose when she informed her mate earlier in the week, that she was going to spend her birthday at her aunt’s home, which did not sit well Anderson, who became more agitated on Saturday night, when he brought her home.

“He left and went down in the yard and I stayed in the car… then I left the car and I see him run coming to me, but I did not run. Then he asked me where I going and I said I going to buy a phone card to call ‘Tanty’.

“Then he grip me by me hair, then he throw me on the ground and then he start pelting cuff…. then he pull me across a gutter and then he pick up one of the old chair on the ground and he hit me on me head with it, then he let me go.”

Roberts recounted that as she made her way to the house, one of her daughters, Shanique’s twin sister, approached her and asked her what was wrong.

She said that she told her daughter what had happened and that daughter got into a brief argument with Anderson.

At that point, Anderson made his way back to his vehicle, while his other victim Shanique, who had heard the commotion outside the house, made her way to her mother’s side.

Shanique, 25, said that she then heard her sister warning her mother to run, as Anderson had returned to the yard with a cutlass in hand.

“We run down in the house and I was trying to get the door closed. Same time I pull in the door, he hold the door and was pulling. So, eventually I let go and run back into my sister bedroom and mommy run in behind me.

“He come in the room and he start to fire chop, so I put up my hand and I know I get hit, but I didn’t know I get cut.”

Shanique said that her attacker continued to chop at her, and by the time he was through, she had sustained more than ten chop wounds to her right hand, both legs, head, back and upper lip.

She also suffered a fractured right hand.

Her mother, who ran to a different room and tried to hide under a bed, was chased by their assailant, and was also hacked about her body, receiving injuries to both hands, (her left hand broken in two areas), legs, head and face.

Both women received multiple stitches.

Neighbours and family members who heard the screams of the victims and attempted to rescue the women were also chased by their attacker and sought refuge in a nearby house.

Anderson allegedly broke the windows and doors of that house and when he was unable to enter, he returned to the Roberts’ home and proceeded to set the house on fire while Rosalie was inside.

“When I was under there (the bed) he come back in and I see him light the matches and after it started blazing, he went out,” the matriarch Roberts said.

Shanique, who had fled to the neighbour’s house, said, “When I peep through the bathroom window (of the neighbour’s house) I see fire behind my bedroom and I try to tell them go and out it and they tell me he’s out there with the cutlass and they scared to out it, so nobody did not go.”

Anderson eventually fled the scene and Shanique was then taken to the Chateaubelair Hospital.

Her mother, who crawled from the burning house before it was consumed, was found some distance away and was also taken to the hospital in Chateaubelair.

Now, lying side by side at the hospital in Kingstown, the women say that they are happy to be alive and thank God that their lives were spared.

They, however, say that they are upset with actions of Archibald, who was lying in a bed in the Male Medical Ward of the hospital. He is believed to have consumed a poisonous substance.

“I am very sad that my daughter get involved in this… they never see nobody take advantage of me like this,” Rosalie, a farmer and labourer by profession, said.

“I tell myself I should have avoided this thing long time, but because of fright, I never leave. We was together for four years and every time he used to tell me he will kill me and kill himself.

“But I say: if he could do that to me and my daughter, I don’t think that he should go drink anything. I think he should stand and face the consequence as a man.”

Shanique, the mother of an 18-month-old son, said that she is concerned about her child’s welfare, since she has lost all her possessions in the fire.

She said that she is at a loss why he would attack her, since they had never had any issues.

“I don’t really get involved in mommy and his thing…. I don’t know why he attacked me, but if I had the strength… God knows.

“Now everything burn up; everything gone.”

SEARCHLIGHT was unable to make contact with Anderson, who was under police guard at the hospital.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok