Posted on

DPP discontinues case against E.G. Lynch

DPP discontinues case against E.G. Lynch

Share

Talk show hosT E.G. Lynch was reduced to tears on Monday, August 8, shortly after Director of Public Prosecutions, Colin Williams, discontinued a charge against him, that on August 23, 2007, he made false statements likely to cause fear or public alarm.{{more}}

The matter, which had been ventilated before Chief Magistrate Sonya Young at the Serious Offences Court, last year, was brought back up for hearing at the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court after Young recused herself from the matter at the end of the trial.

Lynch shook hands with his lawyers as he exited the courtroom, wiping his face with a white rag.

He did not speak to reporters.

“We feel vindicated. This was a waste of my and my client’s time. It is a colossal waste of the court’s time. I said this in the past; it was a politically motivated matter and nobody in St. Vincent and the Grenadines is interested in the case except for political reasons…,” said Lynch’s lawyer, Kay Bacchus-Browne outside the court house.

In August 2007, it was alleged that Lynch, host of the New Times radio program, had said Assistant Commissioner of Police Lenroy Brewster and Government Minister Julian Francis were in the company of Antonio “Que Pasa” Gellizeau at Wallilabou beach on the night of August 4, 2007.

When the matter was heard yesterday, Bacchus-Browne submitted to Senior Magistrate Donald Browne that the words that were allegedly used could not disrupt the public peace and cause fear and alarm. She raised an application for Magistrate Browne to stay the proceedings permanently as an abuse of process.

LAST NEWS