Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Princess Cruises pulling out of SVG again
Front Page
July 12, 2011

Princess Cruises pulling out of SVG again

American cruise line Princess Cruises has pulled out of St. Vincent and the Grenadines yet again. This was confirmed by Minister of Tourism and Industry Saboto Caesar and Garth Williams, Manager of Shipping and Tours at Coreas, the agents for the cruise line.{{more}}

Williams explained to SEARCHLIGHT, during an interview yesterday, that Princess Cruises had secured eight berths at the Cruise Ship terminal for their ship Grand Princess for the upcoming cruise season, which normally runs from October to April.

Subsequently however, on checking Princess Cruises’ website, Williams said he noticed that St. Vincent was not listed as a destination on the ship’s itinerary.

“We realized basically they had canceled without informing us officially,” he said.

Williams said that the cruise line usually books berths between six to eight months in advance of the start of the cruise season. He added that Princess Cruises sometimes changes its itinerary, and may have booked the berths in case any changes had to be made. Williams, however, stated that Coreas will not cancel the bookings until they have received official confirmation from the cruise line.

Meanwhile, Minister of Tourism and Industry Saboto Caesar, during an interview with Searchlight last Friday, stated that due to the increase in oil prices, many cruise lines prefer to “do the more northerly, eastern Caribbean and western Caribbean cruises instead of coming so far south.” Caesar stated that this latest development is not unique to St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

He however stated that though the cruise industry is important to the country, the Tourism industry is now working on securing more stay-over visitors as “stay over visitors have a higher marginal propensity to consume than persons who come on cruise ships.”

Caesar stated that there was an increase in stay over visitors for January and February of last year of 1.9 per cent, adding that there is a 7.2 per cent increase in yacht visits. Caesar stated that these are the areas in which there are higher expenditure levels by visitors.

He however emphasized that his Ministry is not sidelining the cruise industry, but basically accepting the fact that most cruise ships are focusing on the more northerly routes. Caesar added that other southern countries in the Caribbean are experiencing a fall off in cruise ship visits as well.

Williams, when asked to comment on the fall of in cruise visits to the southern Caribbean, stated that the American cruise lines are looking at where they deploy their ships simply because as of 2012, ships operating 200 nautical miles from the American coastline will have to use a more expensive but more environmentally friendly fuel. Williams stated because of this, cruise lines may be hesitant to travel far south and are concentrating on shorter tours closer to that 200 mile mark.

Williams agreed that the absence of Princess Cruises’ ships will result in a loss of income for the industry, especially in the area of tours. Last year, the Grand Princess and Sea Princess ships made nine calls to St. Vincent and the Grenadines; the larger ship Grand Princess called at Port Kingstown, while Sea Princess called at Bequia.

Williams also indicated that taxi drivers may also be affected, as some tourists from the Grand Princess were independent and would use taxi drivers to take tours around the country.

Reflecting on the comments by tourists during tours done throughout St. Vincent, Williams stated that while most tourists who journeyed outside of Kingstown rated our natural and historic sites highly, almost all the visitors complained about the conditions of the roads leading to the sites.

Those tourists who did not join tours, but walked around Kingstown independently, described St. Vincent as “unfriendly”, “unsightly” and “dirty” and questioned why they had come to this country. The issue of inacessibility of vehicles, sites and buildings by wheelchairs has also been raised as a shortcoming.

For those who took tours, the most liked areas were places such as Fort Charlotte, the churches, the Botanic Gardens, Montreal Gardens and Dark View Falls, Williams said.

Princess Cruise Lines first pulled out of St. Vincent in 2000, citing some of the very shortcomings present day visitors complain about.

While, according to Williams, no official word has been received this time from Princess, in August 2000, passengers complained about harassment, particularly in the area of the cruise ship terminal, the condition of Kingstown, the physical constraints of some tour sites and shortage of air-conditioned coaches to take all passengers on island drives.

The cruise line returned in 2003 after strenuous efforts had been made to clean up Kingstown and address other shortcomings cited by visitors.

The news is not all bad for this country in relation to the cruise industry, however. Williams disclosed that a new cruise line, Tui Cruises out of Germany, will be making its first visit to St. Vincent with the ship “Meinschiff”. According to Williams, the German cruise line will visit St. Vincent twelve times during the upcoming season.

Williams stated that, based on empirical evidence, Germans tend to take many tours , as German cruise lines offer all-inclusive packages which include tours as well. Therefore, although the numbers on the German ship may be less than the Grand Princess, more income may be generated from the tours. Williams stated that the Meinschiff has a capacity of 2600 passengers, while the Grand Princess’ capacity is 3600 passengers. He added that the German cruise ships will stay from 7 am to 8 pm in St. Vincent, as opposed to the Princess Cruises’ ships, which stay from 8 am to 5 pm.

Minister of Tourism and Industry Saboto Caesar is expected to hold a press conference today to discuss matters pertaining to the tourism industry.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...
    EC$81 million dollars in Budget for Vinlec Upgrade
    News
    EC$81 million dollars in Budget for Vinlec Upgrade
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The sum of EC$81 million dollars has been allocated in the 2026 Budget for the establishment of a National Risk Mitigation Mechanism and also to moder...
    Minister of Tourism buoyant over plans for North Leeward
    News
    Minister of Tourism buoyant over plans for North Leeward
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Minister of Civil Aviation, and Sustainable Development Dr. Kishore Shallow, has spoken about a series of development initiatives aimed at addressing ...
    Jesse Jackson – a Servant Leader, dies
    Regional / World
    Jesse Jackson – a Servant Leader, dies
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The Rev. Jesse Jackson, the Baptist minister and two-time presidential candidate whose booming oratory and populist message propelled the Civil Rights...
    Digital Transformation trends across the Eastern Caribbean
    Press Release
    Digital Transformation trends across the Eastern Caribbean
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    On Wednesday, January 28,2026 the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) officially launched the findings of its Digital Inclusion Sur...
    News
    Barrouallie Government School launches its first publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The Barrouallie Government School (BGS) officially launched their first published book titled Little Pens, Big Dreams: Stories and Poems from the Barr...
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...
    EC$81 million dollars in Budget for Vinlec Upgrade
    News
    EC$81 million dollars in Budget for Vinlec Upgrade
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The sum of EC$81 million dollars has been allocated in the 2026 Budget for the establishment of a National Risk Mitigation Mechanism and also to moder...
    Minister of Tourism buoyant over plans for North Leeward
    News
    Minister of Tourism buoyant over plans for North Leeward
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Minister of Civil Aviation, and Sustainable Development Dr. Kishore Shallow, has spoken about a series of development initiatives aimed at addressing ...
    News
    Barrouallie Government School launches its first publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The Barrouallie Government School (BGS) officially launched their first published book titled Little Pens, Big Dreams: Stories and Poems from the Barr...
    Not enough lands, says Housing Minister
    News
    Not enough lands, says Housing Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Minister of Housing, Andrew John, says limited land availability remains one of the country’s major development challenges, noting that space must be ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok