Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
NLA Chairman says Park’s southern wall is for paid advertising
Front Page
November 30, 2010

NLA Chairman says Park’s southern wall is for paid advertising

The removal of the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) posters from sections of the wall at the Victoria Park, last Saturday, November 27 was not politically motivated.{{more}}

This is the word coming from Murray Bullock, Chairman of the National Lotteries Authority (NLA), the body responsible for the maintenance of the recreational facility.

Bullock, speaking to SEARCHLIGHT on Sunday, November 28, one day after the NDP accused the government of orchestrating the removal of the posters under police supervision, said that the sections where the posters had been placed along the southern end of the park, is designated for paid advertising.

He further contended that the NLA is currently negotiating with business houses for ads to be put there.

“All of that are advertising areas; there is not a single poster for any other political party placed there,” Bullock explained, saying that the NDP had gone ahead and plastered the area with posters.

When questioned as to who was responsible for summoning the police, Bullock explained that earlier in the day, when the park’s workers had gone to clean the walls, they were “threatened by some hooligans standing out there.”

He said that this occurred sometime in the morning and the police were summoned as a security measure.

But Leader of the Opposition and President of the New Democratic Party (NDP) Arnhim Eustace insists that the action was orchestrated by the Prime Minister and leader of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) Dr Ralph Gonsalves.

Speaking at a press conference last Saturday, Eustace said that the removal of the posters was a ploy, as the Gonsalves-led administration was afraid of defeat at the polls on December 13.

“It is clear to me that the Gonsalves administration is afraid; they are frightened out of their wits and are going to extreme actions in order to have their way,” Eustace said.

“The police never did it before, why did they do it now?” he questioned.

“The Prime Minister is responsible for national security and when things like this go on, he (Gonsalves) has to know,” Eustace contended.

“When you really see what is going on and see police protecting as posters are being defaced, Gonsalves has to be aware.”

“The reality is that he (Gonsalves) is responsible and should come out and make the requisite statements,” Eustace said.

He accused the government of having no regard for democracy or the constitution.

“The police officers who were observing the removal of the posters are more interested in stopping ordinary citizens from observing the fact that the posters were being torn down; that is not a democracy; what we have is a dictatorship.”

“Are we moving to a police state?” Eustace questioned.

One eyewitness, Levi Adolphus Cummings, said that he was traveling along the road sometime after 1 pm when he observed what was going on.

Cummings, speaking at the press conference, said that he began taking photographs with his phone.

He said he was told by one of the officers that no parking or waiting was allowed in that area. After parking his vehicle, Cummings said that he proceeded to again take photographs of the posters being removed under the watch of two officers from the Special Services Unit (SSU) of the police force.

Cummings said that he was approached by one of the officers and was informed that he was not allowed to take any photographs.

“I asked why not; as far as I know I can take photos,” Cummings said he responded to the officer.

The New Montrose resident said the officer then grabbed the phone and threatened him.

According to Cummings, the officer told him that he could lock him up and asked him if he knew that he had handcuffs and could “carry (him) and beat (him)?”

“He said ‘for your best interest, just get off the sidewalk’,” Cummings further said.

Lawyer Kay Bacchus-Browne, who was present at Saturday’s press conference, said that such action had the potential of leading to “disorderly conduct.”

She further stated that as part of the freedom of expression in St Vincent, there is nothing wrong with putting up posters unless someone’s private property is being defaced.

“Posters on private property, the owners can ask to take it down. But using force on public property; one eyewitness was threatened: he could have been arrested,” she said.

“There are two major political parties and government should not give precedence to one party over the other,” Browne contended.

She further explained that the NDP is a part of the government.

“According to the Constitution, Mr Eustace is the validly elected Leader of the Opposition and so the NDP they have certain rights,” Browne said.

She called for calm and urged all citizens of the country not to retaliate, as under section 32 of the Representation of the People Act, if violence erupts and the prime minister declares a state of emergency, then the general elections could be postponed for up to three months.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok