Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Vincy woman makes £1 million claim against British Army
Front Page
April 16, 2010

Vincy woman makes £1 million claim against British Army

A Vincentian woman has found herself at the centre of controversy in the United Kingdom, since the ruling of an employment tribunal that she suffered indirect sexual and racial discrimination because of the combined effect of military and immigration rules.{{more}}

Tilern DeBique, who joined the British Army in March 2001, when she was 19 years old, was a systems engineering technician with the 10th Signal Regiment.

Originally from Spring Village, DeBique is a former student of the Girls’ High School, from which she graduated in 1998.

The young woman found herself being disciplined by the Army when she failed to turn out on patrol on one occasion when her daughter Thalia was sick in 2007, the Telegraph reports.

She finally left the Army in 2008 because the demands of childcare for her young daughter interfered with her availability for duty.

She then launched employment tribunal proceedings, which she won earlier this week. She is claiming for 15 years of lost earnings, pension contributions and other benefits amounting to more than £1,142,000 plus interest.

The panel was told that DeBique had calculated that she should receive £473,535 in lost earnings, £325,160 in lost benefits such as Army housing and £315,562 for her pension. She is also claiming compensation of £18,000 for hurt feelings and an additional £10,000 aggravated damages.

Now, questions are being asked about how this ruling will affect the recruitment of women as well as persons from the Commonwealth into the British Army.

Judith Webb, a former member of the Signals Regiment in an article in the Mail Online said on Wednesday “the tribunal decision has nothing to do with equality and everything to do with special treatment.

“It implies the Army should accommodate every mother, no matter how expensive or unreasonable the demands.”

Besides the claim of sexual discrimination, DeBique also won a claim of race discrimination because Army chiefs did not let her bring her half-sister from St. Vincent to look after the child.

The former corporal, whose daughter is now four, told the Central London Employment Tribunal that British soldiers could rely on their families for childcare, but her relatives were all in St Vincent, where she was recruited.

This second victory raises serious questions about the Army’s willingness to recruit from Commonwealth countries in the future, if it will be held responsible for soldiers’ childcare arrangements.

DeBique became pregnant in 2004 and gave birth to her daughter Thalia in August 2005.

At first she brought the baby back to her family in St Vincent, but then took her back to the UK in September 2006.

It was initially arranged that she would work from 8.30am to 4.30pm and only on weekdays, so she could arrange childcare, the Mail Online said.

As a signals technician, DeBique was responsible for fixing faulty cables and communications equipment but she was also required to have the skills to serve on the front line if required.

In December 2006 she missed training after her daughter fell ill, and in January 2007 she failed to appear on parade because of childcare difficulties.

It was then she was told that she was required to be available at all times and that she was working for a ‘war fighting machine’.

She feared she was ‘on the path to dismissal’ and quit the Army in 2008, after seven years.

The Defence Ministry says she could have accepted an alternative posting.

DeBique told the tribunal it had been her ‘dream’ to join the Army and she had wanted to give her daughter a better life than she had.

She said she would have seen out her full 22-year period of service if she had not suffered discrimination, but was now struggling financially because she could not find another job.

The tribunal criticised the Army for not making childcare arrangements for her – especially after its costly recruitment drive in the Caribbean.

It found that the Ministry of Defence could have liaised with the UK Border Agency to relax immigration rules.

The Ministry appealed against the rulings but lost.

Its lawyers say any payout for loss of earnings should be reduced because only six per cent of female soldiers serve their full 22 years.

A ruling in the compensation hearing is expected today.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities puts...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok