Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Thousands dead, missing after massive earthquake
Front Page
January 15, 2010

Thousands dead, missing after massive earthquake

All Vincentians, known to be in Haiti when Tuesday’s massive earthquake struck, are safe.{{more}}

SEARCHLIGHT has confirmed that Francine McDonald, Justin Providence, Mikey Browne and Alberto White, who all live and work in Haiti, are alive and well.

There had been initial concern about McDonald, who works in the Humanitarian and Development Coordination Section of the United Nations (UN) mission in Haiti and had not been heard from. However, early Thursday morning, over 33 hours after the earthquake hit, she managed to make contact with her relatives.

In a text message received at 3:26 a.m. yesterday, McDonald assured relatives that she is fine. Her mother Jeannie Ollivierre told SEARCHLIGHT that the brief message also said that communication is poor, there is total devastation in Haiti, and we should continue to pray.

The five-story headquarters of the UN peacekeeping and civilian assistance mission where McDonald works collapsed during the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that struck Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, and up to press time on Thursday, over 100 UN workers were still unaccounted for.

The three other Vincentians residing in Haiti were however able to make immediate contact with their relatives. Providence, Browne and White, all employees of the telecommunications company TalkPool AG, are thanking God for saving their lives.

SEARCHLIGHT spoke with Providence, who is an Operations and Maintenance Engineer with his company, on Wednesday evening.

“I was able to contact my family within a few minutes after running out of the four storey building where our office is located. All of the workers and other occupants of the building were able to run out safely. No severe damage was done to that building though.”

As we chatted with Providence via the Internet, the interview was interrupted by aftershocks which he estimated to be of magnitude 5.5.

Providence, who has lived in Haiti since 2006, said when he went into Port-au-Prince on Wednesday, he was shocked at what he beheld.

“Today I went in the capital and it was totally devastated. The National Palace is in crumbles. So too are numerous hospitals, schools, police stations and other important buildings. As I travelled through the capital area, I saw dead bodies strewn along the sides of the street. You can see people trapped in buildings as they made one last dying effort to escape.”

For now though, Providence, Browne and White are being kept busy, as their company, which designs, constructs and maintains fixed-line and mobile networks for telecommunications operators, is working to keep Digicel’s network alive at this critical time.

Providence made a special call to Vincentians to continue to pray for Haiti and to give generously to any relief effort which is launched.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Front Page
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    FISHERMEN and other users of the sea in St Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), are said to be on edge following a lethal US military strike...
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has taken the Dr. Godwin Friday-led government to task over its silence on the destruction of an apparent fish...
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Front Page
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Dr. Godwin Friday said the opposition responded to the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) fiscal package saying that it is going to make peop...
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    WHAT EXACTLY CAUSED a brawl that seemingly began in the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlet on Bay Street and spilled onto the streets of Kingstown is...
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Front Page
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER and Minister of National Security, Major St Clair Leacock, is firm in his resolve to rid St Vincent and the Grenadines of gang c...
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok