Posted on

14 homeless after Edinboro fire

14 homeless after Edinboro fire

Share

Life has changed dramatically for one Edinboro family after their two-storey abode of over 30 years was completely destroyed by fire last Saturday, October 18.{{more}}

The fire occurred sometime around 9 p.m.

Michelle Guy, one of the fourteen occupants, told SEARCHLIGHT that her niece Iana called out to her that the house was on fire.

She explained that no one was downstairs, the area where the fire is alleged to have started, and that she was outside cooking.

The woman said she went to the scene and saw that the bedroom was already engulfed in flames.

Attempts to put out the fire were futile, she said.

“The fire got out of control-it just tek de house one time, nobody get fo save nothing,” Guy said.

“We lost everything; clothes, we had now stock up on food, stove, computer everything,” the distraught woman stated.

Guy said that by the time the fire department arrived on the scene, the part concrete and wooden structure was already almost totally destroyed.

The mother of six, including two young children, explained that while she is grateful to neighbours who have since reached out, she is crying out for assistance.

Niece Iana Cupid said that she had been adversely affected by the tragic loss.

“I work really hard (to buy items lost in fire) and to see it just burn down like that,” Cupid told SEARCHLIGHT.

“Me and my sister have to be sleeping in different people places.”

“It really hard to wake up every morning fo see everything gone,” she further explained.

Bisa Cupid, a fourth form student at the Buccament Bay Secondary School, said that the incident has affected her studies.

“I don’t want to miss school,” Bisa said.

Her school uniform and books were destroyed in the fire.

Assistant Superintendant of Police Isiah Browne, Head of the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Fire Department, confirmed that a call was received around 9 that night.

According to Browne, the fire was started by a lit candle.

He advised the public to place lit candles in proper holders, or place them in containers with water at the base. (DD)

LAST NEWS