Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Campden Park man ordered to pay journalist $500
From the Courts
February 16, 2018

Campden Park man ordered to pay journalist $500

A Campden Park man, charged with striking a journalist in the face with a plastic bag, has been ordered to pay him compensation of $500.

Danroy Small was charged at the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court that he did assault Kenton Chance of Rillan Hill on December 18, of last year, causing him actual bodily harm.

Bail for Small was previously revoked by magistrate Bertie Pompey, after the defendant’s derogatory name calling of the complainant in court when the charge was placed against him, on December 20, 2017. Subsequently, Small had been held in custody until this Monday, when he had been slotted for trial.

The Court heard witness statements from two officers who were present on the date of the offence, and who told much the same story. They said that they were in the process of loading the prisoners onto police transport when the prisoners began to protest at having their picture taken, and asking that the journalists put their cameras away. They said that Small then threw the bag directly at Chance’s face.

However, Small, who had smiled while he questioned the witnesses after their testimonies, acting as his own defence, denied ever throwing the bag at the journalist. He said there was an altercation between some of the prisoners and the journalists and that they were asking the police for the transport to go quickly because the sun was hot. He then said they drove off to prison.

“Mr Small, I’m putting it to you that you were remanded in custody, you were vex; you didn’t want to go to prison…I’m putting it to you as well that because the sun was so hot and the police waste time to you, you were even more pissed off… journalists taking picture of you. You were annoyed at them and so you pelt that bag and hit Kenton Chance in his face,” the prosecutor said to the defendant. Small denied every part of the statement, saying, “That is not true, Your Worship.”

Senior magistrate Rickie Burnett, saying that he did not believe the defendant’s version of the events, held that Small had assaulted Chance. It was revealed that at the age of 37, the defendant already had 24 previous convictions.

“Look at your record…starting with the year 1997, as recent as 2014… assault, wounding, marijuana,” he told the defendant, also saying, “if you don’t want your picture taken, stay out of trouble.

“When the journalists are doing their work leave them alone. You understand,” the senior magistrate told Small, who replied ‘Yes, My Worship’.

Small is required to pay compensation in the amount of $500 to the complainant by the end of March, or spend two months in prison.(KR)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Front Page
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    This country has lost another former Member of Parliament with the death on Tuesday morning of Alpian Allen, who represented the constituency of North...
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle  gun violence in SVG
    Front Page
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle gun violence in SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    ACTING Commissioner of Police Trevor Bailey, said newly promoted Deputy Commissioner Acting Brenton Smith, has been assigned to take strategic command...
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Front Page
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Godwin Friday, has publicly reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG), to Taiwan with whom it is this ...
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Front Page
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    by Grace Francis A Vincentian mother who spent 10 years serving in the Royal Navy is celebrating the academic achievements of her daughter, Destiny Ro...
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Front Page
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    As the Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) kicks off its promotional campaign leading to the celebration of 50 years of the change over of carnival...
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Front Page
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Lawyer Grant Connell has concluded that his Majesty’s Prison (HMP) has now become like the Red Cross, as some people want to go there to get free room...
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Fixing the issues at St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG), various airports is high on the agenda of the current administration and one thing that is ...
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    News
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Opposition Senator Carlos James says the increasing frequency of gun-related incidents and homicides in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is a serio...
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    From the Courts, News
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    A cashier who is alleged to have stolen almost $70-thousand from a senior citizen over a span of several weeks in 2023 and 2024 pleaded not guilty whe...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok