Posted on

Former security guard to stand trial in High Court for murder

Former security guard to stand trial in High  Court for murder

Share

A young man has been committed to stand trial for murder at the High Court, after the Chief Magistrate determined there was enough evidence for the case to move up the ladder.

Antonio Simon, who worked as a security guard before he was arrested, was committed for trial yesterday after a preliminary inquiry, which saw the testimony of multiple witnesses, including numerous police officers, detectives and the cousin of the deceased.

Simon had been charged that he had, with malice aforethought, caused the death of Vancito ‘Cito’ Balcombe of Langley Park, Georgetown on December 22, 2016. On this day, Balcombe had succumbed to 11 stab wounds.

Critically, the defence lawyer for the accused Israel Bruce, in his ending submissions, posited that not enough evidence had been submitted to prove the critical element in the case, namely malice aforethought.

He said that the defence “forcibly submits” that “if there is not enough evidence tendered to satisfy malice aforethought”, that there was “insufficient evidence to charge the accused.” Not only an absence of malice aforethought, Bruce put forward an explanation that if accepted would serve as a full defence for Simon. He also questioned the reliability of certain testimonies.

Prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche stated that not being a trial, the defence raised by Bruce was not to be considered at that point. He stated that malice aforethought as an element could be inferred from the circumstances.

“What is your reasonable foreseeability,” was the legal question that he said must be answered. He said these are questions to be determined at trial.

Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias stated that considering all submissions, she believed there was enough evidence for the case to go to the High Court.

Therefore, Simon will be tried before judge and jury at the High Court, at the next criminal assizes.(KR)

LAST NEWS