Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Lawyer cries injustice, as ‘Cocoa’ sent to High Court for sentencing
From the Courts
January 5, 2018

Lawyer cries injustice, as ‘Cocoa’ sent to High Court for sentencing

Sentencing for Colin ‘Cocoa’ David will take place at the High Court, despite his lawyer bristling at what he believes to be an injustice, saying, “this is prosecution, not persecution”.

David had previously pleaded not guilty to having in his possession on May 5, 2017, one 9 mm pistol and 36 rounds of live 9 mm ammunition without a licence.

During David’s trial, Station Sergeant Bailey, head of the police party which made the arrest, told of the operation, which took place on May 5, based on information that had been received.

The sergeant stated that the police had approached the area of Nelson Block in Kingstown, when, in a vacant plot of land, they witnessed a vehicle idling. The four officers approached the vehicle with stealth and weapons drawn, and, still some distance away from the vehicle, the police officer said that he saw the left back door open and a hand with a black glove, drop a gun and two ammunition magazines.

Bailey then said he shouted ‘gun’ twice and then ‘police’ repeatedly, before shouting instructions to those inside the vehicle.

The supposedly lone occupant of the back was brought around to the sergeant, who said he was wearing a white T-shirt around his face, covering everything but his eyes and had black gloves on his hands. When the shirt was removed, it was said to have revealed the defendant, whom Bailey knew very well as Colin ‘Cocoa’ David, and who then reportedly said, “somebody set me up, boy.”

The trial took place over a number of weeks and in itself had a few inconsistencies arise in the details. Lawyer for the defence Grant Connell made a no case submission after the statements of the officers differed in that one saw a hand with black gloves throw the gun out of the window and the other under the door. However, this had failed on the premise that this difference was not enough to sway the case, which prosecutor Adolphus Delplesche had said was “strong like the rock of Gibraltar.”

Last Thursday, Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias of the Serious Offences Court found David to be guilty, saying, “the prosecution has proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt” and that key evidence was sufficiently backed up by the witnesses in the prosecution’s case.

It was at this point that Delplesche rose to ask that under the Criminal Procedure Code, David be committed to the High Court for sentencing, considering the “aggravating features” present, such as the car having a false licence plate and the number of bullets found in the magazines.

Connell was not pleased at the move, which he immediately said would take justice to the grave. He described it as a “prosecution boomerang” and further as “legal gymnastics to the detriment of the defendant,” as the case had been in the process of going to the High Court, but had been brought back down to the Serious Offences Court in the end.

“For nine months this case hung over the defendant’s neck,” he said, further noting that the system cannot be used in that manner, even if newspaper articles paint David as a hardened criminal. “Justice will go to the grave if you entertain that,” he repeated.

The next day, Friday, December 29, the Chief Magistrate upheld the prosecution’s submission and David will go to the High Court for sentencing. The High Court has a maximum capacity for sentencing of 20 years in this case, as opposed to the Serious Offences Court, which can only sentence an individual to a maximum of seven years in jail.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Front Page
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    FISHERMEN and other users of the sea in St Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), are said to be on edge following a lethal US military strike...
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has taken the Dr. Godwin Friday-led government to task over its silence on the destruction of an apparent fish...
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Front Page
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Dr. Godwin Friday said the opposition responded to the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) fiscal package saying that it is going to make peop...
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    WHAT EXACTLY CAUSED a brawl that seemingly began in the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlet on Bay Street and spilled onto the streets of Kingstown is...
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Front Page
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER and Minister of National Security, Major St Clair Leacock, is firm in his resolve to rid St Vincent and the Grenadines of gang c...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE 2026 PROGRAMME of activities to celebrate National Heroes and Heritage Month was unveiled at a media launch on Tuesday, February 10, 2026 at the U...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok