Accused armed robber granted bail
A Fitz-Hughes man has been granted bail in the sum of $15,000, while he faces four charges in relation to armed robbery of Euro 3,490 that occurred earlier this year.
Calston Lett is accused of robbing three residents of Martinique and shooting one of them in the arm.
The men say they had come to St Vincent by speedboat to purchase conchs.
Lett is charged that on February 11, 2017, at Morne Round, he, being armed with a gun, robbed Jean-Louis Gaston of Martinique of one black Samsung cellular phone valued at 300 Euros, one Martinique national identification card in the name of Jean-Louis Gaston and 530 Euros, a total value of 830 Euros, the property of Gaston and at the time of so doing and in order to do so put Gaston in fear of being subjected to force.
Lett is also charged that on that same date and place, being armed with a gun, robbed Quintus Wilfred of St Lucia (who resides in Martinique) of one black cellular phone, valued at 150 Euros and 1,000 Euros in cash, a total value of one 1,150 Euros the property of Wilfred and at the time of so doing put the said Wilfred in fear of being subjected to force.
He is also charged that on that same date and place, being armed with a gun, robbed Francois Lubin of Martinique of one black Lacoste pouch, valued 20 euros, containing one Martinique passport in the name of Francois Lubin, valued at 150 Euros, one blue Samsung cellular phone, valued at 300 Euros, one black Thomson cellular phone, valued at 150 Euros and 890 Euros in cash; total value of 1,510 Euros, the property of Lubin and at the time of so doing and in order to do so, put the said Lubin in fear of being subjected to force.
Lett is also charged that he unlawfully and maliciously wounded Lubin with intent so to do and that he discharged a firearm at him.
All charges were laid indictably.
When he appeared before the Serious Offences Court on Tuesday, the Crown made no objection to bail, but instead requested sufficiency of surety and special bail conditions.
Bail was set in the sum of $15,000 with one surety.
Lett is to report to the Chateaubelair Police Station every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. and stop notices have been placed at every port of exit and entry.
He was ordered to surrender all travel documents and would need the express permission of the court to leave the state.
He was also placed on a curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
A Preliminary Inquiry into the matter would commence on September 12, 2017.
Constable 387 Justin Cupid is the lead investigator. (AS)